Kathryn Thomas plans own transformation with British TV talks
Published 02/10/2012 | 05:00
RTE presenter Kathryn Thomas is seeking extra work on British television.
The 33-year-old host was unable to be present at a launch for the new series of 'Operation Transformation' yesterday due to a series of talks with production companies in London.
Despite being "happy" hosting some of the biggest programmes on Irish TV, including 'Operation Transformation' and 'The Voice Of Ireland', the former travel presenter admits she is seeking work over the water.
"It's always good to keep your options open. I'm having a few meetings over here in London and talking to a few people," she told the Irish Independent.
The Carlow-born presenter, who signed a two-year deal with the national broadcaster last June, confirmed her new contract with the station allows her to work for other broadcasters.
Sources said that she intends to follow in the footsteps of other RTE faces such as Ryan Tubridy and Grainne Seoige, who split their career between Ireland and the UK.
But the presenter stressed that while she was exploring options in Britain, she remained "happy" with her work on RTE and a personal lunch with a friend in London had been part of her Itinerary.
In her place yesterday, RTE radio host John Murray joined four leaders from last year's 'Operation Transformation' in a call for participants to take part in the 2013 season.
They included Adrian Breton (41) from Edenderry, Co Offaly, (start weight 18st 11lb, lost 3st 7lb); Killian Byrne (40) from Rathfarnham, (start weight 19st 4.5lb, lost 4st 8.5lb); Grace Battersby (33) from Castletownroche, Co Cork, (start weight 13st 4.5 lb, lost 4st 8.5 lb); Natalie Cox (25) from Crumlin, Dublin, (start weight 16st 5.5lb, lost 2st 12.5 lb).
Having shed pounds in front of the cameras, all four leaders plan to continue the process by taking part in the Dublin City Marathon on Monday, October 29, and called out for applicants for the 2013 series, which starts this January.
"The most difficult thing is filling in that application form and signing your name to it," Ms Thomas said.
"Don't think twice, just do it. I know it's a big deal for people, I know it's a bit daunting but if last year's leaders are anything to go by, you'll be glad you applied.
"We're looking for families to take part, too, and ask that people be available to take part in filming between November 2012 and March 2013.
Those wishing to apply can do so through the RTE website (www.rte.ie). The closing date is Friday, October 19.
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie