Tablet

Wednesday 23 July 2014

Gilmore: Shatter's job is not under threat

Brian Hutton

Published 24/02/2014|14:47

  • Share
Tanaiste Eamon Gilmore. Photo: Steve Humphreys
Tanaiste Eamon Gilmore. Photo: Steve Humphreys

Tanaiste Eamon Gilmore has refused to be drawn on whether a wider inquiry will be launched in the continuing Garda controversies.

  • Share
  • Go To

The Labour leader denied there was any threat to Justice Minister Alan Shatter's position as a result of the fall-out.

But he said Government ministers are taking very seriously the latest dossier of alleged wrongdoing within the force, and will deal with the claims at a Cabinet meeting tomorrow.

Asked if Mr Shatter's role was under question, Mr Gilmore said: "No."

The Tanaiste said the Government was already working on legislative changes to make better arrangements for Garda whistleblowers to make complaints about alleged misconduct among colleagues.

Questioned on whether a wider inquiry would be launched, Mr Gilmore said: "I think the important thing is that we deal with the substance of the material that was supplied last week, we are taking it very seriously, we are looking at it very seriously and we'll deal with it at Cabinet tomorrow."

Read More

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Editors Choice

Also in this section