Style Royal Baby

Saturday 30 August 2014

Kate Middleton to carry out first public engagement since giving birth

By Gordon Rayner, Chief Reporter

Published 15/08/2013 | 17:42

  • Share
The Duchess of Cambridge

New mum Kate Middleton will make her first public appearance since giving birth to her son last month.

  • Share
  • Go To

Kate (31) will attend a charity dinner with her husband Prince William next month.

The new parents will be guests of honour at the inaugural Tusk Conservation Awards on September 12, which will celebrate unsung heroes of wildlife conservation.

Prince William is Patron of Tusk Trust, which protects endangered wildlife in Africa, and is keen for his wife to be by his side to raise the profile of the gala dinner.

Kate’s first public appearance since Prince George’s birth on July 22 will attract international attention, ensuring maximum publicity for the event.

A royal source said: “Tusk Trust is the Duke’s longest-standing international patronage, it is something he is incredibly passionate about the Duchess is keen to support him in that.”

Palace sources said the dinner was the first confirmed public engagement for Kate since the baby’s birth, though they said it was “possible” she could make an impromptu appearance at the Duke’s side before then.

Kate looks positively peachy in this pastel combination.
Kate looks positively peachy in this pastel combination.
The Duchess looks blooming beautiful in the early stages of her pregnancy.
The Duchess looks blooming beautiful in the early stages of her pregnancy.
The Duchess had her favourite coat altered so that it could accommodate her growing shape during pregnancy.
The Duchess had her favourite coat altered so that it could accommodate her growing shape during pregnancy.

September will be a busy time for the royal couple; aside from the dinner they will be making arrangements to move out of their rented farmhouse on Anglesey as the Duke’s RAF Search and Rescue posting comes to an end, and in London they will be preparing to move into their newly-refurbished apartment in Kensington Palace.

They will also travel to Balmoral at the start of next month for their first family holiday, giving William’s grandfather, Prince Philip, his first chance to meet his great-grandson.

Kate is expected to remain officially on maternity leave for several months, though she is likely to make a small number of public appearances by her husband’s side in that time.

The new mum has spent the majority of her time since the birth staying with her parents in Berkshire. Her husband has now returned to work at RAF Valley, where Kate and their son George will join him in the coming weeks for a brief stay before the removal men take over.

Meanwhile William has given his first interview since the birth of his son to Max Foster, CNN’s British-based royal correspondent.

The interview was carried out on August 2, the same day he travelled from the Middleton family home to Kensington Palace to register Prince George's birth. It will form part of a documentary called Prince William’s Passion: New Father, New Hope, which focuses on his work for wildlife conservation.

As well as discussing his work with Tusk Trust, he also talks with excitement about Prince George, and of his hope that his son will grow up to share his passion for wildlife and will travel to Africa to experience what he did as a boy.

He also discusses how becoming a parent has changed him.

The film, co-produced with ITV, will be broadcast on September 15.

Read More

Editors Choice



Also in Style