Mail Online apologises to George Clooney for story on forthcoming marriage
Published 09/07/2014 | 16:32
The Mail Online website has apologised to George Clooney after he accused it of printing an inaccurate story about his forthcoming marriage.
The story, which said his potential mother-in-law opposed the wedding for religious reasons, was published on the website on Monday but has since been removed.
Clooney, who is engaged to Beirut-born lawyer Amal Alamuddin, said the story was "completely fabricated", exploited "religious differences where none exist" and was "at the very least negligent".
A Mail Online spokesman said the story had been "supplied in good faith" but they accepted "Mr Clooney's assurance that the story is inaccurate" and had "launched a full investigation" into what happened.
He said: "We have removed the article from our website and will be contacting Mr Clooney's representatives to discuss giving him the opportunity to set the record straight."
Beirut-born Alamuddin, 36, is a member of Doughty Street Chambers in London, having joined in 2010 to complete her pupillage
Clooney, who shot to fame playing Dr Doug Ross in medical drama ER, was previously married to actress Talia Balsam and has said that he would never marry again, although he has dated a string of women including Lisa Snowdon and Stacy Keibler.