'Almost bully your daughters into entering!' - Rose of Tralee organiser pleads for more entrants
Published 01/05/2015 | 09:58
A Rose of Tralee organiser has pleaded with mothers and grandmothers to be 'cruel to be kind' and to 'almost bully their daughters' into entering this year's competition.
The pleas come as festival bosses are concerned one county in particular will not have enough women to enter this year's festival.
Just three women from Leitrim have entered to take part in the county selection.
The event, which takes place this Sunday, needs a minimum of eight to go ahead.
Organiser of the Leitrim selection Brendan Galvin has pleaded with women in the county to come forward as a contender for this August's Rose of Tralee festival in the Kerry Dome.
"We're appealing to mothers and to grandmothers to be cruel to be kind and to nearly bully their daughters into doing it," he told Shannonside FM.
"They're going to have an amazing time, the best craic ever.
"They will make such wonderful friends and have the most wonderful experiences," he continued.
"All they have to do is go onto the Rose of Tralee website or go to the Leitrim Rose page on Facebook and just make some kind of contact with us.
"We'll take it from there and make it as easy as possible for them."
Rose of Tralee host Daithi O'Se said he is 'shocked' by the lack of entrants and said Leitrim has always been one of the festival's strong contenders.
"I'm shocked by this. Leitrim always send strong contenders even though it's a small county, it's really strange," he said.
"I actually thought that more people would want to enter after last year's winner Maria Walsh proved to be so popular," he added.
Potential Roses cannot be wed or divorced and need to be under the age of 27.
The winner will walk away with prizes including extensive travel opportunities, Newbridge jewellery and a new car, as well as the prestigious title.