Steal Her Style: Mary-Kate Olsen
Mary-Kate Olsen is a modern day style icon. She’s an actress, business mogul and millionaire who now has two successful fashion labels under her belt (The Row & Elizabeth and James).
In fairness it’s easy to be an icon when you have your pick of designer labels and a design team to create what you can’t find. But, MK has a definite look going on regardless of the dollars at her disposal.
Often referred to as “homeless chic” Mary-Kate was noted for her baggy T-shirts, massive cardigans, wedge boots and obligatory sunglasses.
Many thought she was too scruffy. I disagreed and still do!
She has since cleaned up her act while managing to retain that low-key edge that everyone loves. Her hair is always mussed and textured, make-up is minimal and clothes look “thrown together”. The one thing that is never minimal is her accessories which are often mismatched and always excessive.
She still goes for oversized sweaters and skinny jeans during the day, with a massive bag, layered jewellery and heels as standard.
For night time she often opts for floor-length dresses and skirts despite her tiny frame. A tad more make-up and vintage accessories complete her look.
Despite the fact that she’s extremely petite, she generally chooses styles that are loose and floaty. This is one girl you’ll never see in a body con dress.
• Add lots of rings and bangles to achieve Mary-Kate’s thrown together look
• Layer layer layer... and if in doubt layer some more!
• Keep an eye out for one off vintage dresses or jackets to keep your look unique
• Mary Kate’s look screams low maintenance, hair should never be too styled
• For day time add a big bag, a headband, shades and a shirt and rock it like an Olsen
• Buy a lumberjack shirt and crazy high wedges and you won’t go too far wrong