Saoirse Ronan: A new style icon
AT 17, she's not even legally old enough to drink -- but already Carlow actress Saoirse Ronan is the toast of the fashion world. Hanna star Saoirse has featured in more than a dozen Hollywood films, been nominated for an Oscar and has been compared to Cate Blanchett.
Now, though, it's her dress sense that's taking centre stage after Glamour magazine named her among their 'Fashionistas to Watch in 2012'.
Style icon in the making Saoirse -- who turns 18 in April -- has so far been dressed by designers such as Chanel, Burberry and Balmain and photographed for fashion bible Vogue.
But that's just the beginning, according to one of Ireland's top stylistas.
"I adore Saoirse Ronan's look," says Roxanne Parker, fashion editor of Social & Personal magazine. "Much like Cate Blanchett, she has a very ethereal type of beauty that draws you in.
"Part rock chick, part bohemian goddess, she has already displayed a flair for fashion well beyond her years," she adds.
"I think it's only a matter of time before she's snapped up as a spokesmodel by a designer like Burberry Prorsum, Miu Miu or Rodarte -- all of whom she's championed on the red carpet."
Ahead of her milestone birthday, we look back at some of Saoirse's most memorable looks.
1. At just 13, Saoirse made her red carpet debut when she was nominated for an Oscar for Atonement in 2008. And while she didn’t have the luck of the Irish on the night — losing out to Tilda Swinton — with her porcelain skin, piercing blue eyes and green Alberta Ferretti dress, the Carlow schoolgirl certainly had the look of the Irish. “[The dress] was very nice but it kept getting caught in everything,” she recalls.
2. From shy child star to confident leading lady, Saoirse worked the red carpet like a pro in Burberry Prorsum at the world premiere of The Lovely Bones in London in 2009. Her perfectly age-appropriate frock marked the beginning of a beautiful friendship with the British designer — fuelling rumours that she could be set to follow in the footsteps of Emma Watson and Rosie Huntington-Whitely as the face of the brand.
3. With over a dozen Hollywood films under her belt, it’s easy to forget that Saoirse isn’t even old enough to vote yet — but she won a vote of her own when she scooped Best Young Actor at the Critics’ Choice Award in January 2010. In a playful metallic mini, gold ankle boots and tumbling waves, the 15 yearold triumphed in the style stakes, too — landing on all the “best-dressed” lists the next day.
4. Another day, another designer dress — Saoirse looked adorable in tiered Miu Miu and matching sparkly heels at the London premiere of The Way Back in December 2010. The black and baby blue lace number beats a school uniform any day, she admits: “I’m lucky because [designers] approach me to wear their stuff — I really love Miu Miu.” 5Keeping it Irish in floor-sweeping John Rocha, Ronan picked up the award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role for her performance in The Way Back at the IFTAs early last year. Growing gorgeously into her signature understated style, the 16-year-old starlet more than held her own on the red carpet alongside fifty-something sex symbol Kim Cattrall.
6. Wonder Woman? Promoting Hanna in a Junk Food Clothing Tshirt and bright Robert Clergerie brogues at WonderCon 2011, trendsetting Saoirse is well on her way. Despite having a wardrobe stuffed with designer frocks, the downto- earth teenager says she’s more at home in high street duds and comfy shoes: “With stores like Topshop and H&M, you can find really great stuff.”
7. She's been described as “a young Chloë Sevigny”, but it was this red Rodarte affair that established Saoirse as a trend-setter in her own right at the MET Ball in New York last May. Although critics were divided about the collared jacket, sequin skirt and silver Tabitha Simmons pumps, the 17-year-old won praise for refusing to play it safe. “For me, clothes are about individuality,” she says. “When I wear things that are different and it works, it makes me feel good.”
8. Sitting front row at the Rodarte Spring/Summer 2012 catwalk show in a dress by the designer and Robert Clergerie sandals, stylish Saoirse has come a long way from the cherubic child star who burst on to the big screen in I Could Never Be Your Woman just five years ago. Flanked by style icons such as Beyoncé, Anna Wintour and Rachel Zoe — and upstaging all of them in a printed peplum — Saoirse Ronan 'The Fashionista' has arrived