Princess Beatrice to sell royal wedding hat on eBay
Published 12/05/2011 | 10:41
It has been derided as one of the biggest fashion errors of the year, compared to a giant lavatory seat and even inspired its own Facebook page.
Now Princess Beatrice is to put her much-ridiculed royal wedding hat up for auction on eBay to raise money for charity.
In an interview on The Oprah Winfrey Show, the Duchess of York said of her daughter’s Philip Treacy fascinator: “She's putting it up on eBay to auction it for UNICEF and for children in crisis.”
The hat has gathered a cult following since the 22-year-old Princess wore it to attend the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge last month.
A Facebook page dedicated to the beige creation has gathered more than 136,000 fans, while numerous spoof photos have been posted on the internet showing figures including Barack Obama wearing it.
Despite the critics, the Princess has defended the hat. In a recent interview with Grazia magazine, she said: “It’s an incredible response to that hat really, I’m glad it provoked so much conversation.
“I think it’s wonderful that it’s had a reaction, it is just a hat after all, and now it has got its own Facebook page and so many fans.”
Treacy, 43, who made hats for several guests at the wedding, including Victoria Beckham, Tara Palmer-Tomkinson and Princess Eugenie, has also defended his designs.
He said: “I thought they looked gorgeous and beautiful. It’s about making you feel a million dollars.
“When you’re wearing something on your head you feel beautiful."
News of the auction drew mixed responses last night on the Facebook page entitled Princess Beatrice's ridiculous Royal Wedding hat.
One member wrote: "It's great that she's trying to raise money for the children, but why would any sane person actually want the hat, even for free?"
Another offered to buy it for $20.
The Duchess of York was not invited to attend the royal wedding on April 29, leaving her former husband the Duke of York to accompany their daughters Beatrice and Eugenie, 21.
In the same interview with Winfrey, the Duchess said she spent the day in Thailand but was sad not to be able to attend.
Asked how hurt she felt by the snub, the Duchess, 51, replied: "It was so difficult. Because I wanted to be there with my girls and to be getting them dressed and to go as a family.
"And it was also hard because the last bride up that aisle was me."