Jean Genius: Get ready, the flare is back
Bairbre Power has the skinny on demins – get ready, the flare is back
Published 19/03/2011 | 05:00
It's going to be a bit of a culture shock for skinny and straight-leg jeans aficiondos, but the flare is definitely 'the' big jeans trend this summer, totally in keeping with the nostgalgic 1970s vibe sweeping through stores.
Examining the largest Denim Bar in the country, located at BT2, Grafton Street -- where 140 styles across 20 brands cry out to you like style sirens -- 'denimologist' Grace confirmed that flares will be trending into autumn/winter 2011, so they are not a one-season buy.
Baffled by the sheer choice, Karen Higgins, senior buyer at Brown Thomas, walked me through the options, which we later explored in a shoot covering jeans priced from €50 upwards.
- New this summer, watch out for cropped flares. My favourite was J Brand's Gigi, which sits just above your ankle with a small kick out.
- For those who like slimming jeans, Marrakesh from Made in Heaven (MiH) fit beautifully and come in a clean, dark indigo wash.
- Coloured denims are big for 2011 and fall into two camps: brights like greens and red from Dr Denim, or gentle pastels in a velvety denim from Victoria Beckham.
- J Brand's Agnes is an update on Houlihan; a skinny-leg cropped jean with long zip.
- Salsa from Portugal has legions of Irish fans for its Secret style, with its tummy-tuck qualities, and the butt-lifting Wonder. They come in a bootleg and straight, with a flare style coming for autumn.
All clothes and accessories from BT2, Grafton Street and Dundrum Photography: Ronan Lang