Happy 22nd Birthday Kate Upton! 22 Facts about the 'hottest supermodel on Earth'
From a religious equestrian champion from Florida to a global sensation- let’s take a look at how the voluptuous pin-up Kate Upton took on the sizeist fashion industry, and won.
1. Not just a pretty face: Katherine Elizabeth "Kate" Upton was a competitive equestrienne who won four world championships before her foray into modelling.
2. Kate signed with Elite aged fifteen, and spent years doing catalog work before jumping ship to IMG Models in 2010 when she turned 18.
Managing Director of IMG Ivan Bart has said, “When Kate first came in, everyone at the agency thought I was crazy. They said she wasn’t ‘fashion’ enough.”
3. This wasn’t the only negative reception she received. Casting director for Victoria’s Secret fashion shows Sophia Neophitou-Apostolou infamously once said,
“We would never use Ms. Upton for a Victoria’s Secret show, she’s too obvious. She’s like a Page three girl, or a footballer’s wife, with the too-blond hair and that kind of face that anyone with enough money can go out and buy.”
4. In February 2011, Kate was photographed in the Philippines for the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. Featured in a body-paint swimsuit, the magazine gives her the coveted title ‘Rookie of the Year’.
5. Later that year her fame skyrocketed when an impromptu video of her doing the Dougie –a popular hip-hop dance– at a Los Angeles Clippers basketball game found it’s way to YouTube and Twitter and went viral.
6. In April 2012, a 19-year-old Kate landed covers of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition and GQ Magazine.
7. She said, "After my first Sports Illustrated cover, I felt terrible about myself for a solid month.
"Every single guy I met was either married or about to be married, and I felt like I was their bachelor present or something.”
8. That same month, fashion photographer Terry Richardson filmed the curvaceous model doing the Cat Daddy dance and uploaded the video unknown to her to YouTube where it quickly amassed over 10 million views.
9. Kate attended the annual Met Gala in May 2012, in a sequin column dress by Michael Kors whom she attended the event with.
10. In Vogue’s July 2012 issue the magazine reported on her crossover to the realm of higher fashion, and the world began to take note.
11. Further Vogue exposure came in November 2012 when she gave an interview and starred in a multipage editorial shot by Steven Meisel.
12. Her enviable dimensions are 36-25-34, and she stands at a statuesque 5 foot 10 inches.
13. Thanks to her bubbly personality, hourglass physique and peroxide blonde hair, Kate is often compared to icons such as Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Mansfield.
14. In March 2013, a Los Angeles teenager named Jake Davidson made a YouTube video asking Kate to be his prom date that went viral. As Kate could ultimately not attend the event, fellow Sports Illustrated Swimsuit model Nina Agdal went with Davidson instead.
15. Kate made her Vogue cover debut in June 2013, shot by renowned photographer Mario Testino who heralded the “American Dream Girl” the “Hottest Supermodel on Earth”.
16. In September 2013, she won the prestigious Model of the Year title at the 10th Style Awards at New York Fashion Week.
17. To date, the vivacious model has fronted campaigns for brands including Sam Edelman, Accessorize, Guess, Beach Bunny Swimwear, Dylan George, and Dooney & Burke. She has also starred in commercials for Mercedes-Benz, Carl's Junior and Sobe.
18. Though she is currently dating Detroit Tigers baseball player Justin Verlander (31), Kate told Elle Magazine that she is in no hurry to settle down:
"I'm just having fun. Obviously I have a very busy schedule at this time in my life, and I don't put relationships as a priority."
19. Believe it or not, the stunner has been cheated on by a former flame, though she shrugged it off saying, “Everybody’s been through betrayal some way or another in their life”.
20. Kate was left upset when a quote about her cup size was taken out of context. The Sun newspaper reported that Kate said: "I wish I had smaller boobs every day of my life as I would love to wear spaghetti tops braless or go for the smallest bikini designs."
21. She later took to Twitter and appeared on air to defend her figure saying, "I love my boobs and I'm proud of my size. That's an important message to young girls - love who you are and be proud of who you are."
22. Kate appeared in the slapstick film The Three Stooges as a bikini-clad nun, and in The Other Woman alongside Cameron Diaz and Leslie Mann.