Ruth Negga's 12 best looks this awards season
Every awards season, fashion tends to fall hopelessly in love with a particular star.
In years past, it was Jennifer Lawrence, Lupita Nyong'o and Alicia Vikander, but now our own Ruth Negga is ruling the red carpet.
In a sea of strapless columns, the Ethiopian-born, Limerick-raised actress's style has been consistently unconventional, and she's never fallen off our best-dressed list.
1. Awards season typically starts in September, but Negga, who is up for a Best Actress Oscar for Loving, has been wowing us since May, when her intricate Marc Jacobs gown made a hell of a first impression at the Cannes Film Festival.
2. Not many of us could pull off a long-sleeved, high-necked velvet gown, but Negga did so effortlessly at a Cartier event. The gold design was by Valentino, marking the beginning of a very fruitful relationship with the iconic Italian fashion house.
3. The 35-year-old turned the red carpet green at a People magazine party, stepping out in an emerald pleated midi dress by Prada, topped off with matching eyeliner, silver shoes and marcel waves.
4. Negga isn't afraid of a dramatic sleeve, as evidenced by the romantic Valentino gown she donned for the LA premiere of Loving. It proved she can ace a frothy, ultra-femme look just as well as the edgier styles.
5. There was more Valentino for the HFPA's cocktail party, where her bib-front number gave us pretty much the only evidence so far that a handkerchief hem can work.
6. Negga threw another style curveball at the Governors Awards a couple of days later, going full vamp in a sheer Gucci gown with a bedazzled snake across the bodice.
7. Many actresses may feel shy their first time on the high-octane awards circuit, but Negga was instantly confident. Returning to Valentino in France, she worked the voluminous scarlet gown like a pro.
8. At the Palm Springs Film Festival, she looked stunningly ethereal in another Valentino design, where she was honoured with the Rising Star award.
9. And she was a vision in silver sequins at the Golden Globes, stealing the show in an exquisite custom Louis Vuitton design.
10.After that futuristic look, she wore her heart on her sleeve at the AARP awards in whimsical Valentino, covered in dreamy crystal embroidery. We can't wait to see what she's got planned for Sunday night.
11. She is a vision in this bird motif skirt and blouse by Erdem and metallic Christian Louboutin heels. Her slicked back curls made freshened up her red carpet uniform.
12. It's all about the details - Ruth's emerald green Miu Miu dress' bow detail is the piece de resistance of an already picture perfect look.