Robbie and Claudine Keane caught up in the panic of Dubai New Year’s blaze: ‘Rob and I got so many texts’
Published 02/01/2016 | 11:23
It was a dramatic start to 2016 for Robbie and Claudine Keane, whose celebrations in Dubai were interrupted by the pandemonium caused by the blaze in the city’s Address Hotel.
The couple were in the United Arab Emirates to ring in the New Year with their children Robbie Jr and Hudson and Claudine’s brother Ronan when they heard reports of the fire, which was ignited during the city’s 2016 countdown.
In her column for The Irish Daily Star, Claudine admitted that she believed the blaze to be a part of the New Year’s celebration until Dubai was covered with a thick cloud of smoke.
“At first people thought it was part of the New Year celebrations until the blaze became so huge that an eerie darkness surrounded the other buildings near the flames”
“I was shocked to find out it was The Address Hotel that was on fire. Rob and I got so many texts asking us if we were okay or near the fire.
“Miraculously nobody died.
“It is incredible to think that you go away on holidays to celebrate New Year’s and end up trying to escape a blazing fire,” she said.
Apart from the fire, Claudine admitted that she had a blast in Dubai with her brother and his girlfriend, who flew from Ireland to meet the pair in the city.
“On New Year’s Eve we went to a gala bash in the Atlantis Hotel. It was the most spectacular event I have ever been to. I have never seen such extravagance,” Claudine said.
“My brother Ronan and his girlfriend joined us for the celebrations, which included one of the biggest buffets I have ever seen. We were entertained through the night by a band who played at my wedding,” said Claudine.
The model, who welcomed her second child Hudson in late 2015, revealed that she spent a merry Christmas in Ireland, where she and Robbie attended a family wedding in Ashford Castle Co. Mayo.