Wednesday 28 September 2016

Police could reopen abuse probe on Cliff Richard

Alison Good

Published 01/09/2016 | 02:30

Sir Cliff Richard. Photo: David Davies/PA Wire
Sir Cliff Richard. Photo: David Davies/PA Wire

The decision not to press charges against Cliff Richard over sex abuse allegations is being reviewed after it was challenged by one of his accusers.

  • Go To

The singer (75) had his home in Berkshire searched by police in 2014 after four men came forward with allegations of sexual assault against him.

He was never arrested or charged but the search was filmed and he was named publicly as the subject of a probe.

A spokesman for Britain's Crown Prosecution Service confirmed it had received an application under the Victims' Right to Review Scheme over the decision made in relation to the star.

Alleged victims have up to three months to apply for a review after the original decision is made. He said the review was ongoing.

Richard said he was "thrilled" the investigation had been brought to a close after the decision was announced in July, saying his life was "effectively turned upside down" by the events.

"I have always maintained my innocence, co-operated fully with the investigation, and cannot understand why it has taken so long to get to this point," he said.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in this section