Friday 30 September 2016

Sir Bruce Forsyth 'doing much better' after heart surgery

Published 08/06/2016 | 10:41

Sir Bruce Forsyth has undergone surgery to treat two aortic aneurysms
Sir Bruce Forsyth has undergone surgery to treat two aortic aneurysms

Sir Bruce Forsyth is still unwell but is "doing much better", according to his wife, Lady Wilnelia Forsyth-Johnson.

  • Go To

The 88-year-old entertainer sparked fresh health fears over the weekend by pulling out of the launch of his wife's candle range due to "mobility issues".

Sir Bruce, who is recovering from surgery to treat two aneurysms, was also too frail to attend the funeral of close friend Ronnie Corbett on April 18.

Speaking at Fortnum & Mason in London, Lady Wilnelia said: "He's doing much better. But he's still convalescing. It was a big, big operation.

"It's taking much longer than we expected, but we're positive that he can recuperate 100%."

The 58-year-old former Miss World said her husband of 33 years had been totally supportive of her new business venture.

She told the Press Association: " He's absolutely thrilled. He cannot wait for me to go home and tell him 'They like it'.

"This morning he gave me a beautiful card to wish me good luck.

"It said 'Good luck, have a wonderful time, I'm so proud of you' - all those lovely things."

Sir Bruce was forced to pull out of the launch event on Saturday.

His manager, Ian Wilson, said the former Strictly Come Dancing host's recovery was taking "longer than hoped" following keyhole surgery in November 2015.

He said: "If he were well enough to go or medically advised, he would be there, but we're not at that point.

"He's not going to do something that would endanger recuperation."

Lady Wilnelia said in December last year that they hoped it would take "one or two months more for him to fully recover" from surgery after two aortic aneurysms were discovered following a fall at his home in October.

Mr Wilson said Sir Bruce's continuing recovery was "not longer than expected, but longer than hoped".

Lady Wilnelia, who in 1975 became the first and only Puerto Rican to win the Miss World title, has launched a range of candles inspired by her childhood.

She said: "It's been a dream. It's all to do with where I come from, it's all to do with the Caribbean, and really the beauty of the flora there that inspired me to create."

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in this section