Siobhan O'Connor: 'I went from the airwaves on 98FM to the dole queue in a flash'
Published 25/04/2015 | 22:21
Former broadcaster Siobhan O'Connor has told of how she found herself on the dole queue after she was made redundant from radio station 98FM.
In a frank and honest account published in the Sunday Independent's Life magazine today, the 35-year-old said she found herself "dispensable, replaceable and redundant at 35".
Siobhan wrote about how her former bosses told her social media, particularly Twitter, forced the station to move in a different direction.
Siobhan, who was formerly part of the hugely successful 'Morning Crew' before becoming the station's 'Gossip Girl', was told she was an "exemplary employee" but they had to make the decision.
"My job was obsolete and I had been replaced by the social network. The internet had killed the radio star," she writes.
"You never thing it's going to happen to you, but getting the dole was to prove an emotional roller-coaster ride, a sobering and character- building experience."
Read more here: Love/Hate's Susan tells of life on dole
She talks about the first time she visited the local social welfare office on Parnell Street and how one civil servant told her not to worry too much.
"She recognised me and said: 'Don't worry Siobhan, we've seen it all before. You're not the first celeb and won't be the last to come through these doors, you'll be back on radio in no time'."
Siobhan said she spent six months on the dole and constantly looked for other work.
She auditioned for a presenting role on TV3's 'Xpose' at one stage and missed out on the job.
She was assigned a case worker and met with her every six weeks to show she was actively looking for work.
She also asked the case worker if she could retrain but was told she was "overqualified" and encouraged to go back into media again.
Siobhan has since retrained in personal fitness.
Read the full interview in today's 'Life' magazine.