Friday 30 September 2016

Married At First Sight couple's split approved by judge

Published 29/10/2015 | 11:41

The nullification of the marriage was confirmed at a family court hearing in London
The nullification of the marriage was confirmed at a family court hearing in London

The marriage of a couple who wed as part of TV series Married At First Sight has been drawn to a close after eight months by a judge.

  • Go To

Jason Knowles and Kate Stewart were strangers when they married in February as part of the Channel 4 show.

Judge Yvonne Gibson has now approved the nullification of their marriage at a family court hearing in London.

Neither Mr Knowles nor Miss Stewart, who are both aged in their 30s, were at the hearing - which lasted less than two minutes.

Court paperwork shown to the judge revealed Ms Stewart wanted nullification on the grounds that Mr Knowles had "wilfully" refused to consummate the marriage, which had taken place on February 22.

Mr Knowles had not contested her application.

Newspapers had already reported that the couple had separated.

Channel 4 had indicated the reality show was a social experiment, saying couples met for the first time on their wedding day after being "matched by a panel of experts".

The channel's chief creative officer Jay Hunt had described the show as "a celebration of marriage".

Officials said Married At First Sight was based on a Danish show and an experiment to find out if science could produce a stable marriage.

A Channel 4 spokeswoman said: "The sad fact that the relationship between Kate and Jason did not work out was shown in the series when it aired this summer."

She said another couple who married on the show remain together.

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in this section