Lena Dunham to undergo surgery after ovarian cyst rupture
US star Lena Dunham will undergo surgery after experiencing an ovarian cyst rupture.
Spokeswoman Cindi Berger said in a statement that the Girls writer, actress, director and producer had been taken to an undisclosed hospital on Saturday morning.
The 29-year-old has endometriosis, a painful condition that occurs when tissue that normally grows inside the uterus grows outside it.
Dunham has been very open about her personal issues with the condition.
Last month, she updated her Facebook page with some thoughts about her ongoing health problem.
The New Yorker also mentioned being "excited" about the February 21 return of her series Girls to the HBO network.
But she said she would not be doing any press for the show.
She added: "As many of you know I have endometriosis, a chronic condition that affects approximately one in 10 women's reproductive health.
"I am currently going through a rough patch with the illness and my body (along with my amazing doctors) let me know, in no uncertain terms, that it's time to rest.
The Bafta Award-winner continued: "So many women with this disease literally don't have the option of time off and I won't take it for granted.
"Wishing you all health and happiness, in whatever form suits you."
Dunham plays aspiring writer Hannah Helene Horvath in HBO's Girls, which premiered in 2012 and will end in 2017.
The series focuses on a group of 20-something women in New York.
A sharply-written comedy drama, it sees the girls try to figure out what they want from life, from men, from themselves and from each other.
The cast includes Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Adam Driver as Adam Sackler, Hannah's feckless main love interest.
The acclaimed show has won numerous accolades including two Golden Globes.
It is unclear how long Dunham will remain in hospital.
The statement requested that her privacy be respected.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie