John Travolta: 'Scientology has been brilliant...to say anything negative would be a crime to me'
Published 07/04/2015 | 15:34
Actor John Travolta has described his experience with Scientology as "brilliant".
The Pulp Fiction superstar (61) has been a member of the Church of Scientology for a reported 40 years.
But the father of two has revealed he hasn't seen the controversial new HBO documentary focusing on the religion, entitled Going Clear, saying he and fellow member Tom Cruise would likely never see it.
"No, I haven't, and I don't really care to," he told the Tampa Bay Times when asked if he has seen the much talked about production.
"It wouldn't make sense, nor would it for Tom, I imagine."
Travolta, who previously credited the church for helping him grieve after losing his son Jett (16) in 2009, said he has only had a "beautiful" experience with the religion, which is often criticised and plagued by scandal.
The documentary features those who have defected lifting the lid on a list of alleged abuses, including Cruise's former associate Spanky Taylor, who described alleged forced labour conditions,
"I've been so happy with my [Scientology] experience in the last 40 years that I really don't have anything to say that would shed light on [a documentary] so decidedly negative."
"I've been brought through storms that were insurmountable, and [Scientology has] been so beautiful for me, that I can't even imagine
I've helped so many people through hard times — loss of children, loved ones, physical illnesses. Through many tough, tough life situations I've used the technology to support them and help them. "It's always worked... So, why would I even approach a negative perspective? That would be a crime to me, personally, to do that."
Filmmaker Alex Gibney slammed the famous pair for not speaking out against its alleged abuses, saying: "By now there is a well-documented record of abuses in the Church of Scientology, yet Cruise and Travolta have never spoken out about them. By not speaking out, it's a kind of an endorsement."
Representatives of the Church issued a lengthy statement to the Hollywood Reporter after Going Clear premiered, saying: "As the Church of Scientology stated in its New York Times ad of January 16, free speech is not a free pass to broadcast or publish false information," the statement reads. "More than two years after Alex Gibney, Lawrence Wright and HBO started secretly working on their film glorifying admitted liars expelled as long as three decades ago from the Church, the one-sided result is as dishonest as Gibney’s sources...
"Wright and Gibney cherry-picked expelled, discredited former Scientologists who would help them advance their propaganda. What was portrayed as a nonfiction book, and now a film, are both transparent vehicles for their vendettas against all religion and people of faith. None of the discredited sources represent the Scientology religion... The millions of parishioners worldwide who do represent it were intentionally ignored."