'I don't know why I said this, this was inexcusable' - US actor admits he lied about 'escaping 9/11'
The League actor Steve Rannazzisi has come clean and admitted his 9/11 escape story was all a lie.
The actor, who is well-known across the pond thanks to comedy gigs and a decade-long role on The League, made the shocking announcement on his Twitter account this evening.
The 37-year-old star has often attributed his success to escaping the tragic events of September 11th.
In an interview with Marc Maron in 2009, Rannazzisi recalled the day in painstaking detail.
"I was there and then the first tower got hit and we were like jostled all over the place," he said.
He had claimed throughout his career that he was working on the 54th floor of the south tower in the Merrill Lynch offices when he saw the first plane strike,
He said the event made him reevaluate his life and culminated in his move to California with his wife, Tracy.
Today, days after the 14th anniversary of the terrorist attacks that shook the world, the actor has come clean and admitted the whole story was untrue.
"As a young man, I made a mistake that I deeply regret and for which apologies may still not be enough," he wrote on his Twitter account.
"After I moved with my wife to Los Angeles from New York City in 2001 shortly after 9/11, I told people that I was in one of the World Trade Center towers on 9/11. It wasn't true. I was in Manhattan but working in a building in midtown and I was not at the Trade Center on that day."
Rannazzisi had been working in Midtown that day, but not for Merrill Lynch, which has no record of his employment. Merrill Lynch did not even have an office in either of the World Trade towers.
"I don't know why I said this. This was inexcusable," Rannazzisi continued. "I am truly, truly sorry. For many years, more than anything, I have wished that, with silence, I could somehow erase a story told by an immature young man. It only made me more ashamed. How could I tell my children to be honest when I hadn't come clean about this?"
"It is to the victims of 9/11 and to the people that love them—and the people that love me—that I ask for forgiveness. It was profoundly disrespectful to those who perished and those who lost loved ones. The stupidity and guilt I have felt for many years has not abated. It was an early taste of having a public persona, and I made a terrible mistake."
The actor's new comedy series Breaking Dad is expected to premiere on tv screens this Sunday, and it is unknown how this revelation will affect his projects.
Buffalo Wild Wings, whom he is currently involved in a sponsorship deal with, have released a statement saying they are re-evaluating the partnership.