Hugh Jackman has fifth skin cancer in two years removed
Published 08/02/2016 | 20:07
Actor Hugh Jackman is recovering after his fifth skin cancer surgery in two years.
The Les Miserables star had his first procedure in late 2013 after noticing a mark on his nose, and he has spoken out repeatedly about the dangers of skin cancer ever since.
On Monday, the 47-year-old took to Instagram to share a picture of himself wearing a plaster across the bridge of his nose, informing fans he'd had a fifth skin cancer removed.
"'An example of what happens when you don't wear sunscreen," he wrote in the caption. "Basal Cell. The mildest form of cancer but serious, nonetheless, PLEASE USE SUNSCREEN and get regular check-ups."
Hugh originally thought the mark on his nose had been caused by the claws worn for his X-Men character Wolverine, but, when a make-up expert and his wife Deborra-Lee Furness encouraged him to get it checked out, a skin doctor confirmed the actor had cancer.
"It's always a bit of a shock just hearing the word 'cancer'" Hugh previously told People magazine. "Being an Australian, it's a very common thing. I never wore sunscreen growing up, so I was a prime candidate for it. I was trying to keep calm about it but it wasn't until (his skin cancer surgeon) Dr. Michael Albom really explained to me that what I had, in a way, was the kind of skin cancer you want to have if you're going to have it.
"Basal cell carcinoma is just something you have to deal with. It's cancerous. It will grow. You just have to get it out."
After his fourth surgery last May, Hugh revealed his doctor warned him he would face more cancerous cells in the future, and less than a year later he went under the knife again.
"I go every three months for checkups," he added to People. "It's the new normal for me. My doctor says I'll likely have more and if that's your cross to bear in life, you should be so lucky."