Sunday 22 October 2017

Han Solo directors leave film over ‘creative differences’

Phil Lord and Christopher Miller said their vision and process weren’t aligned with their partners on the Han Solo film.

Phil Lord and Christopher Miller (Dominic Lipinski/PA)
Phil Lord and Christopher Miller (Dominic Lipinski/PA)

By Julia Hunt

The directors of the upcoming Han Solo film have left the production due to “creative differences”.

Film-makers Phil Lord and Christopher Miller had been shooting the as-yet-untitled Star Wars spin-off in London but have now exited the movie.

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy said a new director would be announced soon.

ipanews_17528ea1-60cc-4e51-b621-39fac8e077f5_embedded5486
Kathleen Kennedy ( Ian West/PA)

Lord and Miller said in a statement on the Star Wars website: “Unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project.

“We normally aren’t fans of the phrase ‘creative differences’ but for once this cliche is true.

“We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew.”

Kennedy said: “Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are talented filmmakers who have assembled an incredible cast and crew, but it’s become clear that we had different creative visions on this film, and we’ve decided to part ways.

“A new director will be announced soon.”

The standalone film stars Alden Ehrenreich as the young Han Solo, the role made famous by Harrison Ford in the original films, and Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian.

February 21, 2017— Star Wars (@starwars)

The film, penned by Star Wars veteran Lawrence Kasdan and his son Jon Kasdan, is expected to explore Solo’s adventures before the events of the first film, along with his Wookiee sidekick Chewbacca.

The supporting cast includes Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke and Thandie Newton.

:: The Han Solo film remains scheduled for a May 2018 release.

Press Association

Also in this section