Wednesday 28 September 2016

Celine Dion reveals how she broke the news of her husband Rene's death to their children

Published 18/05/2016 | 19:55

Celine Dion appeared on ABC to give the first interview since her husband's death.
Celine Dion appeared on ABC to give the first interview since her husband's death.

Celine Dion has opened up about the death earlier this year of her husband Rene Angelil.

  • Go To

Angelil died on January 14 aged 73 after a long battle with throat cancer.

Dion told ABC News that even though his death was expected, "you're never ready for something like this to happen".

She said she lay with Angélil in bed after he passed away and told him: “You were worrying for my career. You were worrying for the children. You were worrying for everything. It's enough. Do you trust me? Please do. Trust me,” Dion recalled saying. “The kids are fine. I'm fine. I promise you we're gonna be OK. Please leave in peace. I don't want you to worry.”

The singer said she broke the news to her children by talking about their favourite animation "Up".

“Before I told them that their dad was not there, I talked about when we, everybody, gets sick. Then I said, ‘Do you remember the movie ‘Up’?”

“It's one of our favorite,” she said of the 2009 animated Disney movie. “‘Oh,’ they said, ‘Yes, Ellie went up.’ You know, she with the balloons. And I said, ‘Well, yeah … You know, today Papa went up.’"

Two days after his death, her brother Daniel Dion died of a similar cancer on Angelil's birthday.

The singer said she believes her husband came and got her brother, because he was "too weak to fly on his own".

Angelil discovered the singer when she was just 12 and later became her manager.

She said it is hard to now make decisions without his guidance.

Dion is set to perform Queen's The Show Must Go On at the Billboard Music Awards on Sunday.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in this section