Barefoot beach ceremony, anyone? 10 celebrity couples that eloped
Published 30/05/2014 | 14:56
When every move they make is documented and scrutinised, is it any surprise that many high profile couples opt for a secret, no-fuss wedding?
From Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard’s €100 bash to barefoot, beach ceremonies...
1. The union of Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard was never going to be traditional. The actress proposed to her fiancé of almost four years that they finally say ‘I Do’ via Twitter after the Californian Supreme Court legalised same sex marriage. Their wedding famously set the pair back just €102, including petrol money to get to the courthouse.
Status? Still married, with a daughter Lincoln born in 2013.
2. Together since 2006, Australian model Miranda Kerr and British actor Orlando Bloom married in a secret ceremony in June 2010, one month after going public with their engagement. A son, Flynn, was born a few month later.
Status? In October 2013, they announced they had separated a few months previous and were to end their marriage.
3. Miranda’s fellow Victoria’s Secret Angel Adriana Lima also eschewed the big white wedding. A devout Roman Catholic who saved herself for marriage, the Brazilian model eloped with Serbian basketball player Marko Jaric on Valentine’s Day 2009 at a mountain resort in Wyoming. The couple have two daughters together; Valentina and Sienna.
Status? After five years, the pair ended their marriage in May 2014.
4. After dating for less than two months, singer Mariah Carey and TV host Nick Cannon got hitched in the Bahamas in 2008. Every year, the couple renew their vows in a different location- such as Disneyland or in their Beverly Hills home.
Status? Still married, with twins Monroe and Morocco arriving in 2011.
5. Megan Fox, who topped the FHM Sexiest Women list in 2008, began dating Desperate Housewives actor Brian Austin Green in 2004 when she was 18 and he was 30. They eloped on a beach in Hawaii in 2010, joined only by Brian’s son Kassius.
Status? Still married, with sons Noah arriving in 2012, and Bodhi in 2014.
6. Eight years after they first met at the Golden Globes, Indiana Jones and Ally McBeal made it official in June 2010. Actors Harrison Ford and Calista Flockhart said their vows in a private ceremony at the governor of New Mexico’s Santa Fe mansion, joined by their adopted son Liam.
Status? Still married, Harrison (71) and Calista (49) are kept company with a large extended family, including Harrison’s children and grandchildren.
7. On and off screen couple Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem first hooked up in 2007. The Spanish actors, who are extremely private, wed in an intimate Bahamas ceremony in 2010. Penelope wore a dress by John Galliano.
Status? Still married, with a son Leo arriving in 2011 and a daughter Luna in 2013.
8. Larger than life comedian Sacha Baron Cohen and his pint-sized wife Isla Fisher dated for eight years before tying the knot. The loved up couple made it official with a Judaic ceremony in Paris in 2010 in front of six guests as they told OK! Magazine they wanted “no fuss, just us”.
Status? Still married, with daughters Olive arriving in 2007 and Elula in 2010.
9. They certainly could have afforded a lavish event, but Mexican actress Salma Hayek and her billionaire beau Francois Henri Pinault made the decision to elope in February 2009. Like Adriana and Marko, the couple picked Valentine's Day as the date and have a daughter named Valentina together. They celebrated the low key Parisian ceremony with an after-party in Venice.
Status: Still married.
10. Actress Jessica Alba met producer Cash Warren on a film set in 2004. While pregnant with their child in May 2008, the pair walked in to a Beverly Hill courthouse one day, applied for a license and got married on the spot.
Status? Still married, with daughters Honor arriving in 2008 and Haven in 2011.