10 things about the future Mrs George Clooney
Published 29/04/2014 | 12:45
Amal Alamuddin has tied down Hollywood's eligible bachelor - but after you read this, it will come as no surprise. She's pretty perfect as our ten points below outline.
1. She’s a British human rights lawyer - We know what you’re thinking. Like a female Mr Darcy to Clooney’s Bridget Jones. Minus the reindeer jumper
2. She’s represented some really impressive people - Like Wikileaks founder Julian Assange and former Ukrainian prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko.
3. She served as council into the United Nations into the use of drones - Oh, and as UN Special Envoy Kofi Annan’s advisor on Syria. Casual. Clooney, we can imagine, as a human rights advocate who has campaigned for liberal causes in the US and abroad, most notably in Darfur, will be suitably astonished – and dwarfed – by her expertise and experience.
4. And as legal advisor to the King of Bahrain - No mean feat.
5. She was born in Beirut - Yep. She was. No further to add on that one. Other than that she’s now based in London at the Doughty Street Chambers.
6. She speaks fluent French and Arabic - Very impressive
7. She’s a published author - Having written numerous articles on international criminal law, Alamuddin has also edited The Law and Practice of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon. Pretty wordy, that one.
8. She was voted “hottest barrister in London” by a particularly sexist and ethically dubious legal blog called Your Barrister Boyfriend - According to the site, she “achieves the seemingly unattainable ideal of contemporary femininity: she is both breathtakingly beautiful and formidably successful.”
9. She adds yet more credit to Tina Fey’s spectacular Golden Globes joke about Clooney’s love life - Introducing the award-winning movie Gravity, in which Clooney stars opposite Sandra Bullock, Fey described it as “a story about how George Clooney would rather float away into space and die than spend one more minute with a woman his own age”. Continuing on an age-old theme, Alamuddin is 36 to Clooney’s worldly 52. That’s an age gap of 16 years.
10. George’s mother Nina loves her – saying she’s his ‘equal’ and she couldn’t be happier for the pair