10 times we wanted to be best friends with Helen Mirren
Helen Mirren has announced her "breasts have retired" from the big screen and she won't be partaking in any more onscreen nudity, at 70. It's not the first time Helen has made us vie to be best friends with her...
1. When she said the phrase she wished she used more was "f*** off"
“Unfortunately, at least for my generation, growing up (we didn’t say that) and I love the fact that girls are so much more confident and outspoken than my generation were. We were sort of brought up to be polite and sometimes politeness, in certain circumstances, is not what’s required, you’ve got to have the courage to stand up for yourself occasionally when it’s needed.”
2. On playing Queen Elizabeth
"Whenever I see the Queen, I always think 'Oh, there I am!'"
3. When she shared her nomad lifestyle
"I still have a Gypsy sense of adventure. I don't think I have slept in the same bed for more than three or four months my whole life. I am always planting vegetables that I never get to eat and flowers that I never see flower. I have always moved around the world."
4. When she rode the New York subway like the elegant queen she is.
5. When she shared her thoughts on beauty
"There are physically beautiful people in the world (David Beckham, for instance, is unbelievably beautiful), then there are other people that are not beautiful, but are very attractive because of their personality, energy, brilliance, genius: all kinds of things. So I have a resistance to the word 'beautiful'. I wish we could find another word that takes it away from physical beauty and brings it more into the world of true attractiveness."
6. When she began a body confidence movement wearing a stunning green bikini and as a result, spearheaded the increase in women over 60 rocking bikinis on the beach.
7. When she shared her recipe for professional success
"Love what you do. But even if you don't love what you're doing, give it your full energy, because people talk. People talk to each other. And it's always very clear, I've noticed on a film set, the young people who are just starting out, you can immediately tell the ones who are going to make it. Because they are the ones who always go that extra mile, they're not complaining and whining about it, and they commit 100 percent. And it's just a simple thing. But it's the one thing that works above all."
8. When she gave this marriage advice
"I think marrying late is a very good idea -- it worked out for me. In general, I'd say it’s not a great idea to marry young. And it’s a really terrible idea to get married for the frock."
9. When she discussed ageing
"All I’d say to them [her grandchildren] is that ageing is an adventure. It's a frightening adventure because health becomes an issue. Growing old is not for pu**ies – you've got to have courage. But then, you've got to have courage in life anyway."
10. Oh, and that time Blake Lively called her the sexiest woman in the world.