10 things to know about Princess Sofia and Prince Carl Philip of Sweden
Published 16/10/2015 | 13:18
The most genetically blessed royal newlyweds in the world have announced they’re expecting their first child. And they are quite the colourful couple...
1. Before she was a Princess, Sofia was a glamour model and the early days of her relationship with Carl were considered controversial as she previously posed topless with a boa constrictor.
2. Her photographs for Slitz magazine proved so popular, she was named Miss Slitz in 2004.
3. After modelling, she pursued a career in reality television and appeared on Paradise Hotel, which focuses on a group of singles in a luxury hotel and their goings on.
4. Sofia’s colourful CV also features a stint waitressing in New York pizzeria Serafina for two years from 2005 to 2007.
5. The loved-up couple met on holiday in Bastad, Sweden in 2009 and described their meeting as “love at first sight.”
6. After a five year relationship and six month engagement, Carl and Sofia wed in typically lavish style in the Royal Palace chapel, a celebration which last two days.
7. Carl is a keen race car driver and recently completed in the Scandinavian Car Championships in Falkenberg.
8. They are unlikely to become King and Queen of Sweden as Carl is third in line for the throne.
9. In the run up to their wedding, Sofia has taken her charity work very seriously. She already has previously studied children’s ethics and the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child in theory and in Swedish practice at Stockholm University.
10. Before she became a princess, Sofia established the Sofia Hellqvist Project Playground, which supports underprivileged children in South Africa.