10 most explosive things we've learned about Heather Mills since divorcing Paul McCartney
Published 23/04/2016 | 16:17
Beatles legend Paul McCartney’s divorce from former model Heather Mills was one of the most explosive in showbiz history.
Their relationship was fraught with drama since their first meeting in 1999 to their final day in divorce court in 2008. Author Philip Norman details the highs and lows in his new book Paul McCartney: The Biography, which has been serialised with impossibly juicy excerpts in the Daily Mail.
Here are some of Heather's most talked about moments during their relationship...
1. They first met at the Pride of Britain Awards in 1999.
He was still mourning the loss of his wife of 29 years Linda, who died of breast cancer in 1998. Heather was engaged to filmmaker Chris Terrill, whom she soon broke it off with to be with Paul.
2. Heather really, really didn’t like Stella McCartney.
"Every week [Stella] tried to break up our marriage. She was so jealous. She wasn’t interested in her dad’s happiness. I can’t protect her any longer. She’s done some evil, evil things," Heather said of her former step-daughter. Apparently she wasn’t happy because Stella would only give her a 10% discount on her clothing line.
3. She's been caught in a few lies.
Details of her early modelling career are pretty sketchy. Heather claimed to be a €250,000 per year catwalk model with little to no evidence to support the claims.
4. Heather’s ex-husband Alfie Karmal questioned the authenticity of much of the claims made in her autobiography and beyond.
According to Norman, Alfie said: “She told me so many fibs that if she’d said it was raining, I would have checked.”
5. Heather claimed every man proposed to her within seven days of meeting.
6. She was given a serious allowance during their marriage.
McCartney had given Heather an annual allowance of €460,000, a credit card and jewellery totalling €338,000. She was also given €641,000 to buy an office in West London.
7. Her settlement was a little less than what she expected.
After firing her lawyer, Heather decided to represent herself and demanded a €4.2m a year settlement, totalling over €100m. This was to support the lifestyle she had grown accustomed to during her marriage – including €640,000 for holidays, €160,000 for clothes, €38,000 for "equestrian activities" despite the the fact she no longer rode.
8. She ended up getting €31m – including properties in the UK and New York.
9. Heather famously poured a jug of water over Paul’s attorney Fiona Shackleton after her settlement was announced.
10. Heather spent the settlement in just 22 months.
“Most of it’s been given to charity, gone into ethical businesses or paid for a couple of -properties for my daughter’s future security,” she said. “I could never sit with millions of pounds in the bank that could make matters change.