19 things we learned from Bruce Jenner's last interview as a man on American TV
Published 25/04/2015 | 07:04
Bruce Jenner first shot to in to the spotlight in 1976 when he won the gold decathlon at the Montreal Olympics but more recently is best known as the long suffering patriarch in the reality TV phenomenon Keeping Up With The Kardashians.
Since the end of his marriage to his third wife Kris Jenner (Mommager to the Kardashian’s, including the omnipresent Kim) in 2013, Bruce has found himself the subject of frenzied tabloid coverage and speculation over his sexual identity.
Last night the 65-year-old sat down with American TV heavy hitter Diane Sawyer on ABC for a two-hour interview to share his story.
Read more: Jenner: I'm more female than male
Here’s what we learned…
1. Bruce Jenner confirmed that after years of personal turmoil and inner struggle, he is transitioning to a woman. “Yes. For all intents and purposes, I am a woman,” he told Diane in the opening moments of the long awaited sit down.
2. Giving the last interview as Bruce, the 65-year-old will re-emerge as "she" or "her." Why come out now? “I just can’t pull the curtain anymore, okay?” Jenner explained. "Bruce lives a lie. She is not a lie. I can’t do it anymore.”
3. At the age of 8 or 9, Bruce started borrowing his sister's dresses to try on and would occasionally sneak outside. The little boy would venture out of the family’s home in Tarrytown in Upstate in New York with his mother’s scarf on his head. He used to mark the closet to make sure he could put all the clothes back without being rumbled. Bruce told Diane that at that age, he had no comprehension of what he was going through but it “just made me feel good.”
4. Bruce's first wife, Linda Thompson was the first person that he shared what he was going through with. She was supportive but said, “it’s okay, we can fix that,” as all women do, he joked.
5. Facing questions on sexuality, Bruce told Diane that he has always and remains sexually attracted to women and is heterosexual. "There’s two different things here," Jenner explained. “Sexuality is who you personally are attracted to — who turns you on — male or female. But gender identity has to do with who you are as a person and your soul, and who you identify with inside, OK?"
6. Bruce took female hormones for 5 years in the 80’s. After the end of his second marriage and as he approached the age of 40, he had a nose job and began getting electrolysis on his face and chest to remove hair as the early part of the process to transition to a woman. However, the star says that he “lost his nerve,” the dad worried about causing his children pain.
7. Any one who didn’t spend most of the two hour interview wanting to jump in to the screen and give Bruce a massive hug is made of stone.
8. Kim was the first of the Kardashian girls who became of aware that Bruce was dressing as a woman. The reality star caught her step father at home several years ago wearing a dress. Kim ran out of the house and went for a drive, he said. The pair didn’t discuss that moment again for years until stories started surfacing in the tabloids. At that point, Kimmy K went to her step dad and said, “hey, what’s going on?”
9. Kanye West is capable of talking some sense. As Kim was struggled with her step father’s transition, she discussed it with her husband Kanye, who Bruce says helped her reconcile what Bruce was going through. Kanye put it to her that although he had the most beautiful wife and daughter in the world, it’s “nothing if I can’t be me.” From then, Kim has been a rock for Bruce.
10. Bruce Jenner is a Republican. Would he go to the most conservative factions of the party to champion the transgender cause? “In a heart beat.” Go Bruce.
11. On Kris, “hmmmmm” he sighs… (As we all do) The Olympian accepts that she was painted as the “punch guy” in Keeping Up With The Kardashians, but “I had a wonderful life, I learned a lot from her.”
12. Over the 8 years Bruce starred on the E! TV Kardashian phenomenon, that spurred a billion dollar industry from, lets face it... nothing, the sport star was aware that all along, he had the “true story.”
13. On his split from the most famous mammy in the world, Kris Jenner, he admits that if she had been better about what Bruce was going through, “we would probably still be together.”
14. One of the former Olympian’s lowest points came around a year and a half ago when some one leaked the details of a tracheal shave appointment that he had made. When Bruce arrived for the appointment, the paparazzi were outside. The invasion of privacy was a massive blow to Bruce, and afterwards he considered suicide.
15. Who is Bruce’s dermatologist? Seriously, where are your pores?
16. What will “she” look like? Diane inquired. Bruce gave us a quick glimpse into her new wardrobe ahead of dinner plans later that night, giving us a peek at the outfit; a very chic LBD.
17. When probed on the possibility of sexual reassignment surgery, Bruce hasn’t made any decisions but step daughter Khloe (who spends hours of KUWTK discussing her camel toe) put it to him if that if he was going to live as a woman, ‘you’ve got to have the vajajay.”
18. Of all of Bruce's ten children, 6 biological and 4 adopted, Khloe is also the child that has the hardest time with Bruce's transition. “Khloe’s been very emotional,” Bruce admitted. “She’s had the toughest time with it because she’s had a lot of losses in her life.”
19. Diane bid farewell to the Bruce Jenner the world knows, when the 65 year old re-emerges as “her,” or Bruce’s “true self,” how does she hope the world will react? “Have an open mind and an open heart."