Ruth Griffin: Father's day gifts for Daddy cool
From man masking to male grooming gadgets, we have some of the best Father's Day gift options for every type of dad
The evolving perception regarding men minding their skin, and personal grooming in general, is that skincare is on a fast-track to becoming a genderless issue.
Some major cosmetics campaigns (L'Oreal) now include men in their shoots. Specific male make-up is readily available, with offerings from brands such as Armani, Calvin Klein, Anastasia Beverly Hills and Cover Girl (male make-up such as "guyliner" and BB creams, are re-branded as "corrective skincare" for the most part!).
While this may be a step too far for most men, overall, males of every age are realising that skin health is an essential part of general health. The male grooming industry is set to become a $30bn market globally, with men in western Europe spending the most on male personal care products.
Studies have shown that men like easy to use, high-performing, one-hit wonder products and dislike any personal grooming products that are convoluted to use and time-consuming to apply. Plain, dark-coloured packaging is also a hit with most men.
So for Father's Day tomorrow, I've curated a list of the top male grooming goodies - from man masking to grooming gadgets - that will make brilliant Father's Day gifts for every type of dad.
* TV presenter Dermot O’Leary has created a hard-working, no-nonsense men’s skincare line with Marks & Spencer. His new 24.hr Grooming For Men line focuses on long lasting skincare, from eye cream to shampoo, and is available from Marks & Spencer nationwide and marksandspencer.ie
TREAT VS CHEAT
Tom Ford's Intensive Purifying Mud Mask
One of the most luxurious male mask options. From department stores nationwide and The Loop.
Bull Dog's Skincare Oil Control Face Mask
From pharmacies nationwide.
Unisex scent options: the newest aftershaves and unisex scents for Father's Day gifting for him (and her!)
● Fresh smelling - Philippe Starck Peau D'Ailleurs from €85, from Brown Thomas nationwide (unisex).
● Calming - Chrome Azzaro Pure from €60 in department stores and pharmacies nationwide (aftershave).
● Sexy - Armani Stronger With You €105, from department stores nationwide (aftershave).
● Clean smelling - Escentric Molecules 04 €88.50 (unisex).
● Spicy - Jo Browne Male Solid Cologne Sweet Amber €24 (Solid beeswax cologne stick - officially an aftershave but actually gorgeous as a 100pc natural unisex option), from Kilkenny shops nationwide.
The Sophisticated Grandad didn't grow up with many male grooming products, but he is savvy and clued-in enough to embrace the cultural change regarding men's skin health. He'll opt for high-end, luxury skincare brands that deliver results in a fuss-free manner.
● Lab Series Age Rescue Eye Therapy with Ginseng €49, from pharmacies and department stores nationwide.
● Tom Ford Oud Wood Soap Bar €33, from Brown Thomas nationwide.
● Shiseido Men Skin Empowering Cream €105, from pharmacies and department stores nationwide.
● Clinique for Men Skin Set €40, from pharmacies and department stores nationwide.
● Percy Nobleman Face and Stubble Wash €28.99, from pharmacies and Boots nationwide.
Some of the best male grooming gadgets that make great Father’s Day gifts.
● Remington Flex 360 Shaver €89, from electrical outlets, pharmacies and retail outlets nationwide.
● Hugo Boss Double Zip Leather Wash Bag €220, from Brown Thomas and department stores nationwide.
● Foreo Luna Skincare Silicone Cleanser €159.99, a vibrating skin cleanser and polisher to be used before shaving (it’s waterproof, so can be used in the shower) for deep cleansing. Reduces chances of ingrown hairs and skin inflammation from shaving. From Boots stores nationwide.
● Tom Ford Beard Comb €34, from Brown Thomas.
● Remington Hair and Body Shaver €39.99, from electrical outlets, pharmacies and retail outlets nationwide.
GROOM 'N' GO
The Juggler Dad has a few kids and a busy job, possibly with a lot of travel. He is multi-tasking constantly and has little time for grooming, but still wants to mind himself and his appearance, so will look for hard-working, quick-acting grooming products.
● 24.hr Grooming for Men by Dermot O’Leary Hair & Body Wash, €6.75, from Marks & Spencer nationwide.
● Aveda Pure Formance Hair Thickening Paste €29.50, from department stores nationwide.
● Lancome Hydrix Balm €41, from pharmacies and department stores nationwide.
● Molton Brown Anti-Fatigue Bai Ji Eye Gel €28, from pharmacies and department stores nationwide.
● Clarins Anti-Age Men €54.50, from pharmacies and department stores nationwide.
MAN, BE KIND
The Eco-Warrior Dad is a new dad who is familiar with male skincare products, as he grew up in an age where men minded their skin. He is, however, conscious about being kind to the environment as well as his skin, so he will choose chemical-free, natural skincare products that are from sustainable sources and ethically-aware brands.
● Yon-Ka Barber Shave €31, from health
food stores, Avoca and department stores nationwide.
● Urban Veda Purifying Complete Discovery Set €25.95, from pharmacies nationwide.
● Lush Superdad Bath Bomb €5.99, from Lush stores nationwide.
● Liz Earle for Men Cleanse and Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser Starter Kit €20.95, from department stores, health food stores and pharmacies nationwide.
● Mancave The Originals Skincare Set €39.99, from Boots and pharmacies nationwide.