On the dot: Helpful three-minute beauty hints and tips
Feeling fruity? Well, this week Triona McCarthy takes us through all the juiciest beauty tricks and product picks to get you going for the day, even if you only have three minutes in the morning
Mornings at my house are mental! With a little baby and another on the way, actually getting out the door with my hair brushed and make-up on can be nearly impossible at times. But my time-management skills are improving and I can now be where I'm supposed to be on the dot!
I really believe that putting on my face gives me that extra little boost of confidence. So my daytime beauty routine is quick and easy, and only takes three minutes. Here's what I use.
1. Make Up For Ever Pro Finish Foundation Compact. above, €34, is amazing! It's the first multi-use powder foundation that allows you to fully customise your finish and coverage level, so it can be used either wet or dry. It's super-buildable, with no chalky effect and blends beautifully. I cannot be without this!
2. Paese Blush with Argan Oil €9.99, is the best dupe for my beloved Nars blush in Orgasm, but at a better price. It's enriched with vitamins A,C and E and the nourishing and hydrating properties of argan oil for a healthy glow.
3. I love a really bright lippy for an instant lift. Right now, I love Make Up For Ever's Rouge Artist Natural Collection Lipstick in colour N51, €20.50; I'm wearing it in my photo, above.
4. The MeMeMe Arch Angel, below right, brow-taming tool, €10.50, is an amazing handbag-friendly duo product consisting of a tinted brow gel and a creamy highlighter, which I use on the corners of my eyes and eyebrow arch.
5. Finally, Max Factor's Lashfinity 3-Day Mascara, €23.99, has been developed to stay on your lashes for days! I use a volumising mascara on top of it for some serious va-va-voom.
How do you like your skin in the morning? I'd prefer to be wrapped up in Egyptian-cotton sheets until noon, but that's just a daydream. My morning skin is only fit for mummification, but I've just discovered a DIY multi-task miracle. A banana, yoghurt and honey mash-up sorts out visage violations for me and hunger pangs for Maxi in two minutes!
It's my birthday on Thursday! So Happy Birthday to me! I'll be celebrating in The g Hotel, where I'm judging the Best Hat competition that night with my bestie, Melanie Morris.
I can't wait. Galway is like my second home. Anyhoo, with old age setting in, I've noticed my body isn't what it used to be and is falling apart, just when I've got my mind together! So I've been busy trying out Image Skincare's new range called Illuma, especially the Intense Lightening Body Lotion, right, €58.
This daily intense lightening body lotion has dramatically improved my complexion because it contains an exclusive lightening complex to even out skin discolouration, age spots and hyperpigmentation.
So it's perfect for treating sun-damaged skin, lingering back acne scars, or maybe you just want more luminous skin? The vectorize technology delivers an array of encapsulated ingredients - time-released up to 48 hours for a long-lasting, intense effect. The scent is delicious as well. It smells like a mango sorbet. Mmm!
Treat yourself to this when it's your birthday!
I have an awful dose of PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) at the moment. I'm positive, I'm mental, and I know I have attitude!
I think it's contagious, because even my skincare is sending me good vibes, like Philosophy's When Hope is Not Enough, right, €43.20.
I can't get enough of this lightweight, oil-free antioxidant serum with toning, firming, and anti-wrinkle properties. The smell is heavenly, and my skin drinks it up without leaving an oily or greasy feel.
It should be part of every woman's daily regime - if only to read the bottle, which says, "what is good for your heart is good for your skin."
I've suddenly become obsessed with all things nail-related again at the mo. I think it's because I'm pregnant and nothing fits me, so accessories are my only friends, and I consider my nails an accessory.
I'm absolutely McLovin stiletto-style nails, especially heart-shaped ones! FYI, stiletto nails are when, instead of squaring off or rounding nail tips, you make them more pointed, just like a stiletto heel. Who would have thought we'd be wearing stilettos on our hands? I'm also going gaga for Adele, right, as she rocks the best stiletto nails.
Because I'm celebrating my birthday this week and Hession Hairdressing in Drumcondra and Clontarf are celebrating the arrival of the Lacquer Lounge, I thought I'd give you guys something to celebrate by offering the gift of a butter London file-and-polish treatment for only €20, to keep your nails looking fabulous! And you get to keep the bottle of polish! This treatment can be removed with acetone, so it's perfect for those who don't have time to pop back to the salon. You must mention LIFE when you're booking. Call Laura at Hession Hairdressing, Drumcondra, D9, on (01) 833-0110.
Trust me, trying out new tan in a rush never ends well. So, recently, I went back to my favourite Bronz'Express Tinted Lotion, right, €14.95 from pharmacies nationwide and online, from www.frenchbeautyroom.com.
This oldie but, em, goldie, has been around since 1958 and is still as popular today. It's water-based, so it gives a visible and immediate colour, meaning no streaks.
If you've never used fake tan before, this one is the easiest to use - I can guarantee it! It is quick, easy and non-greasy and makes my pasty skin glow for up to five days, wearing off naturally. It's tan-tastic!