Elle Macpherson (51) keeps age-defying body in shape by carrying around a urine tester kit
Published 27/04/2015 | 11:13
So that’s how she does it: super model Elle Macpherson has said that she brings a special kit to test the pH balance of her urine around with her everywhere she goes.
The 51-year-old admitted that the pH tester is the most surprising thing in her arsenal. Elle reveals that she was once told by a doctor that her body was overly acidic due to travel, lack of sleep and stress so the kit is essential for her to keep her health in check.
“...in my handbag is a pH balance urine tester kit to check that I'm in an alkaline state. I believe that most ailments come from having an acidic body,” the Australian told the Evening Standard.
The mum-of-two is in possession of one of the most sought after figures in the industry , and she puts this down to her commitment to nutrition.
Dieticians and nutritionists unanimously agree that an alkaline body helps to defend against sickness, disease and is a representation of a healthy lifestyle.
The pH balance is a good indicator of your overall health. The letters pH stand for the potential of hydrogen, and the scale to measure the hydrogen in your body ranges from 1-4 with 1 being acidic, 7 being neutral and 14 being the most alkaline. (Ideally our bodies should be at 7.3-7.5 which is basic and moderately alkaline.)
Elle, who has been nicknamed ‘The Body’ since she came to prominence says that for her, varitation and consistency are key to keeping her physique intact.
“I work out 45 minutes a day, six days a week, combining hiking, water skiing, swimming and running on the beach,” she says.
She also is committed to only eating the most nutritiously dense products she can lay her hands on, but admits Green & Blacks dark chocolate, digestive biscuits and Marmite are her guilty pleasures.
“(My idea of a healthy diet is) consistency and eating three healthy meals a day. Having said that, red meat, wheat and dairy don't work for me.”
For a balanced, alkaline body like Elle’s try these tips to regulate your pH balance:
1. Drink the juice of half a lemon squeezed in a glass of warm water first thing in the morning.
2. Eat a diet abundant with nutritious vegetables and fruits.
3. Avoid processed foods, refined sugar and fried foods which are extremely acidic.
4. Drink as much water as possible - preferably purified water.
5. Use natural bath, body and hair care products and cosmetics which are free from chemicals.
6. Eat more plant-based foods
7. If you can't live without meat, opt for grass-fed and organic where possible.
8. Add wheat grass, spirulina, chlorella, cayenne and barley grass to your diet.