Roz’s recipes for breakfast
Published 18/08/2016 | 12:16
Roz Purcell understands that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Here are two of her favourite recipes: Banana Bread Crumble and Chestnut Flour Pancakes.
Cooking together is about so much more than just food: the kitchen is a place where we come together to chat and laugh as well as cook. So we got together with Roz Purcell in the IKEA store in Ballymun, Dublin. She shared her favourite breakfast dishes with two members of the IKEA staff, Aileen and Caroline: Banana Bread Crumble and Chestnut Flour Pancakes.
Banana Bread Crumble
230g Oats – use a mix of jumbo and quick oats (gluten free oats work here also)
2 tbsp. Coconut sugar
100ml Almond milk
1 tbsp. Cinnamon
½ tbsp. Mixed spice
100g Pecan or walnuts - extra for sprinkling on top
2 tbsp. Maple syrup
tsp vanilla essence
3 tbsp. Milled flax or chia seeds
tsp coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. Place the oats, flax, coconut sugar, cinnamon, mixed spice in a bowl and combine.
3. In a blender combine 2 bananas, vanilla and all the almond milk until pureed.
4. Stir into the dry mix using a spoon until the mix is completely wet.
5. In a deep set frying pan (suitable for oven use) add a little coconut oil, once melted toss in the other two bananas diced and pecans. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
6. Add in the maple syrup and cook for a further 2-3 minutes until the banana is browned and pecans lightly toasted.
7. Remove from the heat and spoon in the oat mixture combining with the banana and nuts, smoothing over the top and placing in the oven to bake for 30 minutes until golden toasted on top.
Dig in and enjoy served with some yoghurt!
Chestnut Flour Pancakes
90g Chestnut flour
55g Ground almond
1 tbsp Maple syrup
2 tbsp Almond milk
2 tbsp Vanilla seeds
2 Eggs plus 1 egg white
tsp Coconut oil or grass fed butter to grease iron.
1. Preheat the waffle iron as instructed
2. In a medium sized mixing bowl combine all the ingredients and using a fork blend into a smooth batter.
3. Add a little oil or butter to the iron (optional)
4. Spoon 4 tbsp. of batter into the mould and cook on medium/high for 3-4 minutes until the waffles lift easily away from the iron.
5. Remove and repeat for the next waffle.
6. Serve with a dollop of COYO (diary free coconut yogurt) and some berry chia jam!