Add a little cheese to it – 5 easy recipes the whole family will melt for
We've collected five deliciously cheesy recipes for you try that are sure to delight the whole family.
Cheese is a delicious and nutritious food that is incredibly versatile and can be added to a multitude of dishes. There is a huge variety of cheese, from Dubliner Cheddar to Kerry Blue, which means you can find a taste that suits you.
The Department of Health's food pyramid recommends three servings from the 'milk, yoghurt and cheese’ food group each day as part of a healthy, balanced diet. Here are five easy recipes that will make it easier to provide your family with the nutrition they need.
This handy recipe is quick to whip together and takes about forty minutes to cook. It works as a main course, but you could do it as a side, but just make it a smaller portion size.
- 2 Red/Yellow/Green Peppers
- 2 Cloves of Crushed Garlic
- 1 Handful of Salad Greens
- 2 Finely chopped Shallots
- 50 g Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 200 g Lean Beef (minced)
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 portion Rice
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 200 g Tinned Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Tomato Purée
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
2. Stir in the mince, soy sauce, tomato purée and chopped tomatoes and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, place the pepper halves on an ovenproof dish and bake for 12-15 minutes.
4. Carefully remove the peppers from the oven and spoon the cooked mince into them. Sprinkle over the cheese and return the peppers to the oven for 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, cook the rice, couscous or buckwheat according to the instructions on the package.
6. Serve the stuffed peppers with the rice, couscous or buckwheat and arrange on a serving plate with salad leaves.
Scrambled Eggs and Kale
This recipe created by Derval O'Rourke is perfect for a healthy breakfast or brunch. It goes really well with a slice of toast and take approximately five minutes to prepare.
- Some Black Pepper
- 2 lightly beaten Fresh Eggs
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp Butter
- 25 g Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1 handful Kale
1. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat.
2. Lightly beat the eggs and milk in a large bowl.
3. Meanwhile wilt the kale in a pot with a tiny bit of water and a little butter.
4. Tip the egg mixture into the frying pan. Gently cook the eggs for 2–3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then stir in the butter and cook until the eggs are thickened and glossy.
5. Spoon the eggs and kale onto a warmed serving plate and sprinkle with cheese, season to taste and serve.
Here is the perfect healthy lunch option. Quinoa and blueberries are considered superfoods. The blue cheese adds a real zing to the meal.
- 25g Blue Cheese
- 1 handful Fresh Blueberries
- 1 tbsp Natural Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Pomegranate seeds to garnish
- 125 g cooked Quinoa
- Some Salad Greens/raw vegetables
- 1 handful Fresh Mint (chopped)
- Juice of half a Lime
- Half a tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Pine Nuts/cashews or flaked almonds
- 1 pinch Salt
Place all of the ingredients, except for the natural yogurt, in a serving bowl and mix well. Serve the natural yogurt in a small pot on the side.
Tortilla Pizza Margarita
This cheeky recipe is quick and easy, using tortilla wraps to make pizzas. You can add a variety of toppings, whatever takes your fancy. You could even experiment, using different types of cheeses.
- 25 g Cheddar Cheese
- 1 slice of Ham
- 1 SuperValu Onion (chopped)
- 1 sliced Pineapple (can be tinned or fresh)
- 1 handful Sweet Corn
- 2 tbsp Tomato Passata
- 1 Tortilla Wrap (or more if you are making for the whole family!)
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
1. Put the wrap on a baking sheet and spread the passata over the wrap using the back of a spoon.
2. Sprinkle the cheese on the wrap.
3. You can add any of the optional toppings that your child may like. Ham, sweetcorn and pineapple are a lovely combination as are chicken and peppers.
4. Place the wrap in the oven and bake for up to 10 minutes until the cheese is melted. Careful not to burn the wrap!
5. Remove, slice and serve.
Derval's Power Pita
A great way to start the day, this power breakfast is packed full of green goodness. It is also very fast and easy to make.
- 25g of grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Egg
- Half an Avocado (sliced)
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 handful Spinach
- 1 x Wholemeal Pitta Bread
1. Heat the oil in a pan. Crack the egg into the pan and fry.
2. Meanwhile pop the pitta in the toaster.
3. Peel the avocado and cut half into slices.
4. When the pitta is toasted slit it in half with a knife and place the avocado, spinach and cheese on one side.
5. Remove the fried egg from the pan and pop this on top of the pitta.
6. Serve the pitta on a warm plate.
From heart-warming traditional stews to delicious, fresh salads, these dishes will create memorable stress-free family meals. Check out Cheese Up Your Life or pick up a free booklet in SuperValu stores.
Cheese Up Your Life is a programme financed with aid from the European Union which aims to showcase the quality and versatility of cheese and how easily it can be incorporated into our daily lives.