Sunday 26 June 2016

England ENG

Iceland ISL

20:00

What Ryan Giggs said in his first press conference and what he REALLY meant

Jonathan Liew

Published 25/04/2014 | 13:43

A photo of Manchester United's management team of Phil Neville, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs

The Manchester United veteran was unsurprisingly comfortable in front of the cameras, but what did his words really mean?

What he said

“I’d like to thank David for giving me my first chance in coaching...”

What he meant

“...so soon.”

What he said

“The players have been really good in training this week and they are all excited as well.”

What he meant

“There were a couple of songs as well, but we won’t go into that.”

What he said

“It was a shock to me on Tuesday when I spoke to Ed [Woodward] and he informed me David was leaving.”

What he meant

“I was so startled I almost dropped my betting slip.”

What he said

“I’m just concentrating on the four games remaining. That’s the main focus on Saturday, and Norwich is going to be a tough game, with them fighting for their lives.”

What he meant

“My greatest challenge will be knocking Norwich City right off their f---ing perch. And you can print that.”

What he said

“It’s going to my philosophy – the Manchester United philosophy, as I’ve been here for all my career. I want players to play with passion, speed, tempo, be brave, with imagination, all the things that are expected of a Manchester United player.”

What he meant

“From now on, consider the ‘Leon Osman role’ abolished.”

What he said

“We win together and lose together.”

What he meant

“We win together. When we lose, we get the manager fired.”

What he said

“I want to see goals, tackles, players taking players on, and getting the crowd up. I want the passion that should come with being a Manchester United player.”

What he meant

“David Moyes - and let's not mince words here - had all the passion of a 1970s Leonard Rossiter sitcom.”

Online Editors