Ten-pin Bowling - John Rowan
Ahead of the Special Olympics in LA next month, we are profiling all of our athletes taking part.
NAME: John Rowan
SPORT COMPETITION AT GAMES: Bowling
CLUB DETAILS: Blue Dolphins
1) WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU TO BE AN ATHLETE WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS IRELAND?
It has given me more confidence in myself and I have met loads of new friends. I get to travel to lots of places.
2) WHAT ARE YOUR SPORTS AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLVED WITH YOUR CLUB?
I have been involved in Aquatics, Basketball, Golf, Table Tennis, Bowling for around 6 years.
3) WHAT TYPE OF TRAINING AND PREPARATION ARE YOU DOING FOR THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I train weekly at home. I meet with TEAM IRELAND every month for a 1 day Training Session and 3 Residential Training weekends.
4) HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU WERE SELECTED TO REPRESENT YOUR CLUB AND COUNTRY AT THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I was over the moon and very proud.
5) WHAT IS YOUR BEST MEMORY ABOUT YOUR TIME WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS?
My best memory is when I achieved SILVER in a Golf competition.
6) FINALLY, CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF (HOBBIES, PASTIMES ETC) AND YOUR FAMILY?
I work as a Welder and Woodcutter and really enjoy it. I like to play on IPad and PlayStation 3 to relax after work. I am thrilled to be going to Los Angeles because I missed out in 2011 as I had the Shingles and was quite sick. I had to take a year out of sports to build up my strength. After I spent 6 months in Hospital I started to get stronger again and eventually got back to playing Sport. So this trip will be brilliant.