Ten-pin Bowling - Annita O'Connor
Published 17/07/2015 | 15:31
Ahead of the Special Olympics in LA next month, we are profiling all of our athletes taking part.
NAME: Annita O’Connor
SPORT COMPETITION AT GAMES: Ten Pin Bowling
CLUB DETAILS: Carlow Special Olympics Club
1) WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU TO BE AN ATHLETE WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS IRELAND?
It is fantastic and great fun. I love competition, making new friends, meeting new people, getting the courage to talk to new people.
2) WHAT ARE YOUR SPORTS AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLVED WITH YOUR CLUB?
I have been involved in Special Olympics for 25 years and been involved in Bowling, Badminton, Swimming and Soccer for approximately 4 years plus in my new Club.
3) WHAT TYPE OF TRAINING AND PREPARATION ARE YOU DOING FOR THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
Training every Thurs and extra some weekends.
Diet, Fitness, and Gym in local town on Wednesday
4) HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU WERE SELECTED TO REPRESENT YOUR CLUB AND COUNTRY AT THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
It felt unbelievable. It has always been my dream and I never thought I would get the chance to represent my Club and Ireland.
5) WHAT IS YOUR BEST MEMORY ABOUT YOUR TIME WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS?
My best memory is going to Athens. Being an Official at the Table Tennis in 2003; The lighting of the Torch in Athens 2011; Part of the Torch run 2003 and part of The Torch run in Limerick 2010; Being part of the entertainment in 2003 and interviewing Arnold Schwarzenegger.
6) FINALLY, CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF (HOBBIES, PASTIMES ETC) AND YOUR FAMILY?
I love Reading, Socialising and Babysitting.