Gymnastics - Laura Ahern
Published 17/07/2015 | 15:31
Ahead of the Special Olympics in LA next month, we are profiling all of our athletes taking part.
NAME: Laura Ahern
SPORT COMPETITION AT GAMES: Artistic Gymnastics
CLUB DETAILS: Owenabue Gym Club, CORK
1) WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU TO BE AN ATHLETE WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS IRELAND?
I am very proud to be an Athlete with Special Olympics and I have made lot of friends and enjoy the activities and the fun.
2) WHAT ARE YOUR SPORTS AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLVED WITH YOUR CLUB?
I have been swimming with Cork Special Olympics Club for 5 years. I joined Owenabue Gym Club 2 ½ years ago.
3) WHAT TYPE OF TRAINING AND PREPARTION ARE YOU DOING FOR THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I am training with the Club 4 times a week since December and doing gym training once a week.
I also am keeping a diary of what I eat and trying to keep it healthy.
4) HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU WERE SELECTED TO REPRESENT YOUR CLUB AND COUNTRY AT THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I am absolutely thrilled and over the moon!
5) WHAT IS YOUR BEST MEMORY ABOUT YOUR TIME WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS?
The Ireland Games in Limerick in June 2014.
6) FINALLY, CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF (HOBBIES, PASTIMES ETC) AND YOUR FAMILY?
I have 2 Brothers, Paul and Cian. I love swimming and gymnastics.
I also learn the piano. I go to a dance class once a week. I love singing.