Golf - Oliver Doherty
Ahead of the Special Olympics in LA next month, we are profiling all of our athletes taking part.
NAME: Oliver Doherty
SPORT COMPETITION AT GAMES: Golf
1) WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU TO BE AN ATHLETE WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS IRELAND?
It is great because it is nice to meet people who are like yourself and others who have differences.
2) WHAT ARE YOUR SPORTS AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLVED WITH YOUR CLUB?
I have been playing Golf for 28 years. I also play Bowls, Darts and Pool.
3) WHAT TYPE OF TRAINING AND PREPARATION ARE YOU DOING FOR THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I will be playing lots of Golf.
4) HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU WERE SELECTED TO REPRESENT YOUR CLUB AND COUNTRY AT THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I was very proud and happy. It will be my first Games in Los Angeles and my third World Games.
5) WHAT IS YOUR BEST MEMORY ABOUT YOUR TIME WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS?
My best memory is winning the GOLD in Dublin in 2003 and playing with my friend David and his Father in Florida, Jacksonville in 2004.
6) FINALLY, CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF (HOBBIES, PAST-TIMES ETC) AND YOUR FAMILY?
My hobbies are Golf, Pool and Darts.
I have a wife called Caroline. I have one Sister and my Dad is still living but my Mum has passed.