Golf - Leo O'Brien
Ahead of the Special Olympics in LA next month, we are profiling all of our athletes taking part.
NAME: Leo O’Brien
SPORT COMPETITION AT GAMES: Golf
CLUB DETAILS: Blue Dolphins Special Olympics Club, Wicklow
1) WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU TO BE AN ATHLETE WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS IRELAND?
Being in Blue Dolphins has given me the opportunity to try lots of different sports. I have met many people, athletes and volunteers, both in the Club and in other clubs in the Eastern Region. It has given me opportunities I would never have had otherwise
2) WHAT ARE YOUR SPORTS AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLVED WITH YOUR CLUB?
I swim occasionally and have competed in the aquatics leagues, and in open water swimming. I play golf. I am on the Blue Dolphins basketball team and compete in the leagues. I have recently become involved in Floorball. I have been in the club since I was 6 years of age – 13 years.
3) WHAT TYPE OF TRAINING AND PREPARATION ARE YOU DOING FOR THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I train with my club every Saturday morning. We train in Dublin once a month. I go to the driving range as often as I can.
4) HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU WERE SELECTED TO REPRESENT YOUR CLUB AND COUNTRY AT THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
At first I was shocked. I have never been away from home apart from the Ireland games. I have never been on an Airplane. I was, and still am nervous thinking about it. But I am very excited now. I was delighted when my sister decided to come to LA. I think my mother is more nervous than me!
5) WHAT IS YOUR BEST MEMORY ABOUT YOUR TIME WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS?
Being at the Irish Open last Saturday and meeting all the top Golfers and winning the putting and being presented with my prize by Graham Mc Dowell.
6) FINALLY, CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF (HOBBIES, PAST-TIMES ETC) AND YOUR FAMILY?
I have one sister Lily. She is married to Frank and they have 2 children. She lives near us in Rathdrum. My Mammy minds the children when she is at work and I help her sometimes.
I am the only one at home with my Mam and Dad. My Mam’s name is Brigid and my Dad’s name is William.
I left school last year and I work hard every day. Sometimes I work with a tree sometimes work with my dad. I collect wood and deliver it around Wicklow for firewood.
Apart from going to my Special Olympics club I love fishing and have competed many times in Rathdrum.
I like going out and having a drink with my friends