Football 11-A-Side - Mark Duffy
Published 17/07/2015 | 15:32
Ahead of the Special Olympics in LA next month, we are profiling all of our athletes taking part.
NAME: Mark Duffy
SPORT COMPETITION AT GAMES: Football 11
CLUB DETAILS: Cheeverstown F.C.
1) WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU TO BE AN ATHLETE WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS IRELAND?
It means a huge amount – I’ve been an athlete for 12 years and thanks to Special Olympics I’ve made loads of new friends and been able to travel. It was also a great honour to pull on the Irish jersey and represent my country at the 2007 World Summer Games in China. I am so lucky to get a second chance to go to World Games .
2) WHAT ARE YOUR SPORTS AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLVED WITH YOUR CLUB?
I play football and basketball and have been an athlete with Special Olympics for 12 years.
3) WHAT TYPE OF TRAINING AND PREPARATION ARE YOU DOING FOR THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I train twice a week and I will be meeting up with the squad a couple of times over the next few months to do more training.
4) HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU WERE SELECTED TO REPRESENT YOUR CLUB AND COUNTRY AT THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I was very proud. It is a great honour to represent your country. I am absolutely delighted.
5) WHAT IS YOUR BEST MEMORY ABOUT YOUR TIME WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS?
My best memory was playing for my country for the first time and bringing a Gold medal back in football from the World Games in Shanghai China.
6) FINALLY, CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF (HOBBIES, PASTIMES ETC) AND YOUR FAMILY?
I love all sports I enjoy playing Basketball. My favourite team is Manchester United and Robbie Keane is my favourite player because he is a Tallaght local like me. I like bringing the dog for a walk.