Equestrian - John Deevy
Ahead of the Special Olympics in LA next month, we are profiling all of our athletes taking part.
NAME: John Deevy
SPORT COMPETITION AT GAMES: Equestrian
CLUB DETAILS: Waterford Special Olympics Club
1) WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU TO BE AN ATHLETE WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS IRELAND?
Being an athlete means a lot to me as I love participating and trying t win. I have made many friends. I have great fun and it gives me great happiness.
2) WHAT ARE YOUR SPORTS AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLVED WITH YOUR CLUB?
I have been involved with Horse Riding for over 12 years. I also play Bocce but love Horse Riding.
3) WHAT TYPE OF TRAINING AND PREPARATION ARE YOU DOING FOR THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I train every month with Team Ireland and every Friday with my club. After Christmas 2014 I will do some more extra training.
4) HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU WERE SELECTED TO REPRESENT YOUR CLUB AND COUNTRY AT THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I was very excited. I felt special and happy. I told only a few people who were happy for me and the other club members were also happy for me.
5) WHAT IS YOUR BEST MEMORY ABOUT YOUR TIME WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS?
The best memory was getting picked to represent Ireland winning gold at Limerick and getting to go to the World Games.
6) FINALLY, CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF (HOBBIES, PASTIMES ETC) AND YOUR FAMILY?
I like to break kindling for the fire. I work at the Mart on Saturday cleaning. I love to play with my model Railway set. I love traditional music but I am not a singer. I like to watch soccer on television. Manchester united is my favourite team. I like going to the pub. I have one younger brother names Mark. He is married and has two boys.