Basketball - Laura Reynolds
Published 17/07/2015 | 15:32
Ahead of the Special Olympics in LA next month, we are profiling all of our athletes taking part.
NAME: Laura Reynolds
SPORT COMPETITION AT GAMES: Basketball
CLUB DETAILS: Blue Dolphins
1) WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU TO BE AN ATHLETE WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS IRELAND?
It means a lot to me. I feel very privileged to have a pace on the Team and I am truly honoured. It is a dream come true.
2) WHAT ARE YOUR SPORTS AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLVED WITH YOUR CLUB?
I have been in Blue Dolphins Special Olympics club since 2007. My sports are basketball, swimming and floorball.
3) WHAT TYPE OF TRAINING AND PREPARATION ARE YOU DOING FOR THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I train with my local club once week. I go for walks with my mother and to the outdoor gym. I also took up mixed martial arts outside of Special Olympics. I am doing the eight weeks Operation Transportation with the Wicklow Town group.
4) HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU WERE SELECTED TO REPRESENT YOUR CLUB AND COUNTRY AT THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I was very happy but also shocked.
5) WHAT IS YOUR BEST MEMORY ABOUT YOUR TIME WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS?
My best memory of Special Olympics is meeting loads of new people, making new friends and getting to play basketball int he All Ireland Games twice and also getting to the World Games in 2011 and winning a silver medal.
6) FINALLY, CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF (HOBBIES, PASTIMES ETC) AND YOUR FAMILY?
I like to visit family especially grandparents. I love shopping. I like to bake and cook meals. I've taken up knitting and crochet which is new to me. I like listening to music. My family go camping around Ireland I go sometimes - it is fun. I am an Athlete Leader and am working on my silver award. I have done the Introduction to Coaching course with Special Olympics and also the Table Officials course for Basketball. I take the younger athletes for basketball skills and work with the girls basketball team when the coach is not available.