Badminton - Liam Foley
Published 17/07/2015 | 15:33
Ahead of the Special Olympics in LA next month, we are profiling all of our athletes taking part.
NAME: Liam Foley
SPORT COMPETITION AT GAMES: Badminton
CLUB DETAILS: Shot n’ Stars, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath: Killyon Badminton Club, Enfield, Co Meath
1) WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU TO BE AN ATHLETE WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS IRELAND?
I enjoy going to training every week and meeting my friends. I like doing competitions.
2) WHAT ARE YOUR SPORTS AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLVED WITH YOUR CLUB?
Badminton and Basketball with Shoot n’ Stars. Six years with the club. Swimming with Team Special Olympic. Badminton with Killyon Badminton Club, Enfield, Co. Meath.
3) WHAT TYPE OF TRAINING AND PREPARATION ARE YOU DOING FOR THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I am taking exercise every day- like running, cycling, stretches, swimming, football, hurling, horse riding. I am eating healthy food.
4) HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU WERE SELECTED TO REPRESENT YOUR CLUB AND COUNTRY AT THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I was so excited.
5) WHAT IS YOUR BEST MEMORY ABOUT YOUR TIME WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS?
The National Games in Limerick.
6) FINALLY, CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF (HOBBIES, PAST-TIMES ETC) AND YOUR FAMILY?
I like badminton, hurling, football, running, horse riding, swimming, dancing, speech and drama, table tennis, tennis, iPod, PlayStation, singing, going to musicals, rapping. I live on a farm with my family and one brother, 2 sisters, and my mam and dad. I am the youngest in the family. I am on the school cross country team and the school choir.