Athletics - Rachel Ryan
Published 17/07/2015 | 15:33
Ahead of the Special Olympics in LA next month, we are profiling all of our athletes taking part.
NAME: Rachel Ryan
SPORT COMPETITION AT GAMES: Athletics
CLUB DETAILS: Ormond Special Olympics Club, Nenagh/Templemore
1) WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU TO BE AN ATHLETE WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS IRELAND?
It is the best thing that has happened to me. It means that I can make new friends and see new places and things.
2) WHAT ARE YOUR SPORTS AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLVED WITH YOUR CLUB?
I have been involved in the Ormond Special Olympics Club for 13 years. The sports in my Club include Swimming and Athletics and the venues we train at take place in Nenagh (Athletics) and Templemore.
3) WHAT TYPE OF TRAINING AND PREPARATION ARE YOU DOING FOR THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I am working on my speed and training on the blocks. I do treadmill work and train on the Templemore Athletics tracks.
4) HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU WERE SELECTED TO REPRESENT YOUR CLUB AND COUNTRY AT THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I was excited and overwhelmed and I felt it helped lift my mood from the disappointment I felt when I did not pass Business in College. It is also good to get the chance to go to America!
5) WHAT IS YOUR BEST MEMORY ABOUT YOUR TIME WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS?
My best memory was when I was in Rome in 2006 for the European Youth Games and when I was in Athens in 2011 for the World Games.
6) FINALLY, CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF (HOBBIES, PASTIMES ETC) AND YOUR FAMILY?
Outside of attending LIT in Thurles I do Taekwondo and also Kickboxing.