Aquatics - Brendan O'Connell
Published 17/07/2015 | 15:33
Ahead of the Special Olympics in LA next month, we are profiling all of our athletes taking part.
NAME: Brendan O’Connell
SPORT COMPETITION AT GAMES: Aquatics
CLUB DETAILS: Kerry Stars Special Olympics Club
1) WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO YOU TO BE AN ATHLETE WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS IRELAND?
I am very honoured to represent my Family and Friends and my Country
2) WHAT ARE YOUR SPORTS AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN INVOLVED WITH YOUR CLUB?
Aquatics, Soccer and Martial Arts
3) WHAT TYPE OF TRAINING AND PREPARATION ARE YOU DOING FOR THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I will be training 3 nights a week, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday – 90-100 lengths a session
4) HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN YOU WERE SELECTED TO REPRESENT YOUR CLUB AND COUNTRY AT THE LOS ANGELES GAMES?
I was delighted when my Mum told me the great news and I was so thrilled
5) WHAT IS YOUR BEST MEMORY ABOUT YOUR TIME WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS?
My best moment was in Belfast 2006 relay race. We won GOLD. I was the main man!!
6) FINALLY, CAN YOU TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF (HOBBIES, PASTIMES ETC) AND YOUR FAMILY?
I like Video Games, Xbox 360, Mark 1 Kombat, TV Documentaries and Series. There are 6 in my family – 2 Brothers, 1 Sister and Mom and Dad, Michael and Liz. My parents are also both swimmers