Luis Suarez admits biting: I'm sorry and it will never happen again
Luis Suarez has apologised to Giorgio Chiellini and vowed never to bite anyone again.
Chiellini accepts Suarez apology…and calls for ban reduction Suarez was sent home from the World Cup in shame after biting Chiellini during Uruguay's 1-0 win over Italy on June 24.
The Liverpool striker, who had bitten two opponents on the field of play before, was suspended from "all football-related activity" for four months by FIFA as a result.
After reflecting on the incident in his Montevideo home for the last few days, Suarez decided to release a statement on Monday apologising for his latest indiscretion.
The statement, entitled "My apologies to Chiellini", was published on Suarez's Twitter account.
It read: "After several days of being home with my family, I have had the opportunity to regain my calm and reflect about the reality of what occurred during the Italy-Uruguay match on 24 June 2014.
"Independent from the fallout and the contradicting declarations that have surfaced during these past days, all of which have been without the intention of interfering with the good performance of my national team, the truth is that my colleague Giorgio Chiellini suffered the physical result of a bite in the collision he suffered with me.
"For this: I deeply regret what occurred. I apologise to Girogio Chiellini and the entire football family. I vow to the public that there will never again be another incident like this."
Chiellini responded to the apology by saying he hopes that FIFA will reduce the ban.
"It's all forgotten. I hope FIFA will reduce your suspension," he tweeted the Liverpool star.
Gary Lineker believes that Luis Suarez’s apology for his bite on Giorgio Chiellini was at the request of the Barcelona hierarchy.
The BBC presenter and former Barcelona player believes that today’s move was instructed by his suitors and will now pave the way for a mega-move transfer.
“Suarez has finally apologised for biting saying it will never happen again. I hear that Barca insisted on apology if transfer is to proceed,” he tweeted.
The Uruguayan Football Association (AUF) was outraged at the record length of Suarez's ban, and has launched an appeal.
Uruguayan president Jose Mujica was also dismayed at the length of the punishment, which also came with a £65,000 fine.
Mujica, who had said previously that Suarez was being punished by FIFA because of his humble background, continued his verbal assault at a reception for the Uruguay team after they returned home from the World Cup following their 2-0 defeat to Colombia in the last 16.
Asked by a journalist what his lasting memory of the World Cup would be, Mujica said: "FIFA are a bunch of old sons of b*****s."