Vincent Kompany being extra cautious ahead of Manchester City return
Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany admits he is being extra cautious to ensure his latest comeback bid is not derailed.
There were fears for the injury-plagued Belgian's future at City when he failed to make the bench for last week's Champions League loss at Barcelona.
Kompany had returned from his latest lay-off - the 34th of his City career - in the previous game against Everton and was expected to be in the matchday squad at the Nou Camp.
But manager Pep Guardiola later revealed the 30-year-old did not feel 100 per cent ready and so no risks were taken.
Kompany subsequently returned to action by playing 78 minutes in Sunday's 1-1 Premier League draw against Southampton, his first Premier League start since April.
"My situation is very simple," the defender said. "I've been out for six months. I've had to make one commitment to the medical staff, which was that I'd be honest towards them with my feelings, and that I would listen to them when they made a decision.
"I told them how I felt the day before the game and they made the decision for me. I wanted to play, of course, that wasn't even in doubt, but I've just made this commitment to listen to them a little bit more."
Kompany has been one of City's most influential players in recent years but his recurring fitness issues, usually muscle related, have made his status in Guardiola's team less certain.
Yet he remains convinced he can get back to his best.
Kompany said: "I know what I have to do to be back at my level. Motivation only keeps going up because I feel like I belong on the pitch and I deserve to have good moments because of how I've worked every single day to come back."