independent

Wednesday 16 April 2014

Video: David Beckham rubbishes claims he’s interesting in playing Down Under

DAVID Beckham has insisted he has "absolutely no plans to play in Australia" despite an insistence from Down Under that the the Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder has been in preliminary talks with A-League clubs.

Beckham signed a new two-year contract with the Galaxy in January but has previously had two loan spells with AC Milan in Major League Soccer off-seasons.

Football Federation Australia (FFA) said early this morning in which it said it had been approached by the Beckham camp with a view to the player spending a short stint in the A-League.

A Beckham spokesman was quick to refute the claim, however, describing it as "rubbish" before adding in a statement: "There is always enormous interest from clubs across the world in signing David as a player. There are absolutely no plans to play in Australia, David is completely focused on the MLS play-offs and winning another Championship with the Galaxy."

That stance contradicts the signals emanating from Australia.

The FFA statement read: "The approach from David Beckham's people is another sign of how much the Hyundai A-League has grown in stature on a global basis.

"Beckham is a superstar on the world stage and he would be another massive signing for the Hyundai A-League after the arrivals of Alessandro Del Piero, Emile Heskey and Shinji Ono. But this approach remains at a very preliminary stage."

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Don't Miss

Top Stories

Celebrity News