United refute 'unprofessional' talk
Manchester United have hit back at claims they handled David Moyes' dismissal in an "unprofessional" manner.
Moyes, sacked on Tuesday just 10 months into a six-year contract, was happy to concede results were not up to scratch when he spoke about his dismissal for the first time on Wednesday.
Press Association Sport understands the former Everton manager was far from happy about the way rumours surrounding his imminent departure started spreading before he was sacked.
Reports started emerging on Monday afternoon that Moyes was set to be axed - some 16 hours before he was informed at a meeting with executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward on Tuesday morning that his contract was being terminated.
League Managers Association (LMA) chief executive Richard Bevan accused United of failing to handle Moyes' sacking correctly.
He said: "The LMA is very disappointed with the nature of David's departure from Manchester United and to read extensive reports in the press, confirming David's sacking, before David himself had been spoken to officially by the club.
"Throughout his time at United, David, as he always does, has conducted himself with integrity and professionalism, values that he believes in and that have been strongly associated with the club and its rich tradition.
"It is therefore sad to see the end of David's tenure at United being handled in an unprofessional manner."
United quickly dismissed the allegation. A club spokesman said: "We do not accept that it was handled in an unprofessional manner.
"The decision was not taken until late Monday night and was communicated face-to-face first thing on Tuesday morning.
"When reports started emerging on internet news sites on Monday afternoon, no decision had been taken at that time."