Sunday 4 December 2016

Trap axes McCarthy as midfielder signs £6.5m Wigan deal

Published 24/08/2011 | 05:00

There was good and bad news for James McCarthy yesterday as he signed a new five-year deal at Wigan on the day Giovanni Trapattoni left him out of the Irish squad to face Slovakia and Russia
There was good and bad news for James McCarthy yesterday as he signed a new five-year deal at Wigan on the day Giovanni Trapattoni left him out of the Irish squad to face Slovakia and Russia

JAMES McCarthy has been axed from Giovanni Trapattoni's Ireland squad ahead of next month's key Euro 2012 double-header -- just hours after signing a new £25,000-a-week five-year deal with Wigan Athletic.

  • Go To

The Glasgow-born midfielder, whose Latics contract is worth £6.5m, has been made available to the U-21s for their opening qualifier against Hungary.

His omission was the big talking-point as Trapattoni cut his squad to 25 for the crunch games at home to Slovakia on September 2 and away to Russia four days later.

The manager has selected five midfielders who ply their trade in the Championship ahead of the 20-year-old, who has started both of Wigan's Premier League games this season, but became embroiled in a dispute with Trapattoni after injury forced his withdrawal from the squad for the internationals last May and June.

McCarthy, who also pulled out of last month's friendly against Croatia with injury, is one of five players who Trapattoni is believed to have called to deliver the news that they were not in the squad.

Marc Wilson, Jonathan Walters and Ciaran Clark miss out after they also failed to appear in May, with Damien Delaney also omitted and Paul McShane and Seamus Coleman out injured.

Aiden McGeady is included in the squad despite being sidelined for most of the summer with an ankle injury, while John O'Shea is also in, despite failing to appear for new club Sunderland since injuring his hamstring in pre-season.

"Picking the final 25 players for the squad has not been an easy task," Trapattoni said.

"Unfortunately some players have been left out. We will continue to monitor their progress with their clubs and call them up if necessary."

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez was delighted to secure the future of a player who has attracted interest from a host of big clubs this summer.

"James is a young man with a big future. We are proud to have him as a Wigan player," he said.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Sport